Clothes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by akmyilee, Jun 8, 2005.

1. akmyilee

akmyilee Well-Known Member

So how much clothes does one really need, I mean :confused: ??? Especially kids.......I swear my children have more clothes than I do??? :bash: I am thinking that if I went to the minium of clothes that we each need.......10 "sets" of everyday clothes and 2 church outfits? or maybe 5 "sets" of everyday 2 "get dirty / work" clothes and 3 church outfits? Ofcourse dh has two different kinds of uniforms for his two jobs and the babies diapers so I couldn't cut back on those. If I cut it down to this I might cut my washing in half......And what about towels? we go though two loads of towels a week easily maybe I should cut those down too and then we would be forced to reuse them? and two sets of sheets, one to wash and one to have on the bed? What do ya'll think? All of these posts about laundry has me thinking.......that and I am workign on the "simplification" process.

2. IwannaFarm

IwannaFarm Well-Known Member

Gee, wish I had 10 sets of 'everyday' outfits... I have two pairs of shorts and 5 short sleeve shirts to last me the summer - and half of the shirts I wouldn't wear out of the house. And I don't own a single 'nice' dressing-up outfit. I think I have a dress I bought on sale..but DH doesn't like it.

Now the kids - they have a ton of everything, partly because just when DH and I bought them new summer stuff, their grandmother sent them a bunch of new clothes!!!

3. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Having less doesn't cut down on laundry; might make for more urgent laundry 'emergencies'. I sugest where possible make the kids do the laundry, maybe understand the costs (time, water, elec or wahtever, soap) involved, and why clean things get put away (I recall clean things being rewashed because they hit the floor ((and stayed there unworn for a few days or weeks)) from the laundry basket!!!!) and what things can be reworn without laundering. Certainly clean towels on clean (from just bathing) bodies can be reused by the same person or married couples/family members. They need only proper drying (on the rack if possible) between some sort of reuse. We add a clean towel when the baby or kid bathes, then DH adn I can use those towels which eventually become foot mats then laundered. If I had hooks with our names on them I'd only do the towels every two weeks or so.

In my room, since I DO rewear and have a disorganized heirarchy of not clean enough to wear to work, clean enough to garden/exercise in again but not to wear into town/to friends' homes, I got a clothes tree to keep clothes from becoming in need of washing just because it's been in the pile too long. So my only laundering chore is to be sure there actually is an absolutely clean pair of jeans/shirt in the drawer when needed- nothing like realising there's mud on the trousers you're wearing on a neighbor's new couch.

4. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Jenn has hit this one right on the head. Fewer clothes doesn't mean less laundry, it just means you can't put off doing laundry. We also dry out and reuse towels

We used to have an awful time with laundry until my wife went out and bought 2 of those 3 section laundry sorters. Now every thing gets sorted when it is taken into the laundry room. Reds/pinks,Darks,Khaki/tan/grays,colors, whites, and towels. With everything sorted already it is easier to get the kids involved. Our oldest is 10 and she switches the loads and starts a new load. The 10 yo and 8yo then both fold the clothes that just came out of the dryer. When she is here my 5 yo takes the clothes to the room they belong in. That works pretty well for us. Everybody except the baby has to help.

Shane

5. akmyilee

Well my kids are 3yo and 4months so they aren't alot of help, ds (3yo) gathers up stuff and takes his to his drawer but that is about it. Laundry is one of those chores that I don't mind that much, i am pretty good about washing every Monday and Thursday.

I don't think I was especially clear on what my question was ( have a way of rambling and not making sense). What I am asking is how few clothes do you think one could live with....with out it being a HUGE hassel. I am trying cut down on the "things" that we have.........

Thanks for the responses though, i can't wait until my kids are older.....children = work crew??? haha :haha:

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I am so guilty of having too many clothes for all family members :no:

I am given hand-me-downs and we use them and pass them right on down thru the 3 kids.....my mom buys the kids each a new outfit for b-day and Christmas as well as my childless sister....the good thing is I have 2yo triplet nephews&niece that are grateful for what we pass to them! I'm overdue for a delivery to them!!!!

Plus here in the North....you've got to have 2 separate wardrobes....summer and winter....and my kids need at least 2 snowsuits because one is usually wet....as well as 2 pairs of boots, hats mittens etc....it uses alot of closet space!!!

I'm thankful however that I don't actually buy more than socks and undies and shoes for them! It saves alot of $$$$.

7. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

The clothes you need depends on what kinda life you live.

When we first moved here we worked on the farm with no off the farm job for awhile. We didn't need many sets of clothes. I think we had about 3 sets each and there were days (before we had running water) when the muddy stuff got worn again if we knew we were gonna just get muddy again.

Now with DH and I both having off the farm jobs we have to have more clothes. I just went and counted, DH has 4 nice pants, 9 nice shirts and then his clothes we started here with which will never be clean again.

As a woman working it is a little different the clothes required to keep a decent paying job. I have 14 sets plus my farm clothes, which is a little excessive.

The boys wear shorts and sandals all summer. Shirts if we are going to town. Jeans if we are going to be doing rough work around stickers, etc. They also have one nice set each.

Clothes are all bought at the thrift store or wal-mart if they are on a good sale.

We made a clothes rod to hang our town clothes on from PVC and rebar about 3 feet long. The rest of the things: undies, socks, farm clothes, extra linen and blankets are kept in a trunk and cardboard boxes for each person.

Rubbermaid containers would work fine too but, they cost money and we already had the trunk (from my mom) and the boxes were from moving here.

Really we know that we have more than we need.

8. Philbee

Philbee Well-Known Member

I have enough 'good' clothes to last me forever. Mostly because I hardly ever wear them. Most are several years old and simple styles that don't date. Everyday wear, jeans and t-shirts, I have 4 pairs jeans, 4 t-shirts and a couple of cotton shirts. DH and I buy our clothes at thrift shops. DH s clothes go from 'good', down to work, down to chores and then to patches or rags. I do change the handtowels in the bathroom every day but we do reuse our bathtowels. Apart from underwear and socks, we spend about 100 dollars a year on clothes including shoes ( all except DHs work boots ). My DILs pass the 4 grandsons clothes around to each other which is a big savings. I too don't think less clothes means less laundry. Less changing clothes would certainly make a difference though.

9. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was a child, Momma bought me three pair of jeans and five shirts before school started each year. The jeans were about 2 or 3 sizes too big in the waist and long enough to roll the hem twice to a 3 inch cuff. The next year those were the work/play clothes and I got a new set of school clothes.
    I had one dress up outfit that would be replaced as I out grew it.
    One pair of good shoes and one pair of work/play shoes.(purchased a couple sizes too large.

Now I have a closet full of clothes, probably 10 pairs of boots, and three pair of shoes, 8 or so hats. Of course, I'm not as hard on clothes. Many of these items date back to '98 when the house burned, but I have had dress boots over 20 years old.

One of my comments to beginning teachers is that I had clothes older than they were. :haha: :haha:

Ed

10. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I guess I'm like Ed's mom! I buy my son 5 pairs of sweat pants (the only kind he will wear), and a few shirts (all BIG) at the beginning of the school year. For play, he wears last years clothes. He also gets one pair of dress pants and two dress shirts, and new shoes, socks, and undies. By the end of the school year, they still fit, and if they have holes in the knees, I cut them off and make shorts for summer! At his age, he doesn't really care what he wears, and would probably go to school in his jammies if I let him!

11. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I yard sale so our 3 girls have many clothes because I get them so cheaply. I also have many clothes, hardly wear them out so I get rid of them as I get tired of them.

We also need 2 seperate wardrobes as we have cold winter and nice warm summers.

Its nice having so many clothes that even our work/play clothes look nice. We dont have to have grungy clothes for working in.

We have 3 girls and they being girls feel the need to change clothes many times a day. LOL

Thankfully dh bought me some huge washing machine so I dont have problems keeping up with the dirty clothes just putting them away LOL

Mrs Whodunit

12. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

:p I have a 13 year old and her clothes are just bigger and more of them...
    Now she has to change clothes more often and there is just more laundry than ever... as far as working...i still do the laundry...she helps fold and put up but when i dont help her, my shirts look like they have been in a pile on the floor...lol
    That isnt much help!!!

My son is 8 and i think that boy is in 3 different set of clothes per day...he is always accidently spilling, accidently got wet, accidently has been running through the mud puddle, accidently something...

I am always preaching..."quit changing clothes...i just got the laundry done..."

or " you are going to wear that all day, i dont care what happens"

I think children just need more clothes than adults...I have 2 good pair of jeans...and a few "nice" shirts...and the rest are "working shirts"

As far as towels and sheets,
    I like Winter sheets and summer sheets...one flannel and one cotten...
    I wash them and put them back on the same day...once per week. I dont have a lot extra.
    I feel like you can never have enough towel...But i do limit them...everyone gets one towel per week and everyone has their own hook in their own bedroom to hang it up on... that way they are able to dry out and not sour. I have extra because they take a while to dry if washed and hanging out on the line...everyone can use a different one. I have 1 bathsheet towel...that i use over and over...i only use it- it is big and so am i and i just like that one towel...I have had it for years. I think you could do with a lot less most of the time but we just dont because we have so much.

Belinda

13. heather

heather Well-Known Member

We have a friendly neighbor that has a girl 1 year older than our oldest -

She is always passing us huge trash bags (plural!) of clothes, every season -

I am always amazed at the amount of clothing - my two daughters couldn't possibly wear a :confused: ll these clothes unless I never did laundry ever again!!

I shouldn't complain because these are free brand-name clothes for us - I haven't bought clothes in forever!

However.....we just received a new batch last week & as an example, right now I have 23 pairs of jeans (read that again!) for my 4 year old piled on top of her dresser because I don't have enough room in her drawers! They are all the same size! :confused:

I will pass some on & probably sell some on consignment because, like I said, we couldn't possibly use them all!!

14. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I should have added to my post that my mom taught me to do my own laundry at the age of 5. The only thing she didnt force on me enough was putting away. 26 years later I STILL have problems putting away.

23 pairs of pants?! yikes LOL And dh and I thought our girls had lots of clothes!

15. dakani

dakani Well-Known Member

As a child, never had a lot of clothes. Had enough. One school dress. In hot weather, it was rinsed out and hung to dry. It was dry by morning when it was put on again. Had that dress for two years until I changed schools. Mum made it a bit on the big side to begin with. Other than that, a couple of pairs of pants, a skirt or two, some t-shirts and long-sleeved things, and some jumpers. Now that I'm older, I find I'm pretty much in the same frame of mind. What's the point of having a whole stack of clothes, some of which see the light of day only occasionally. I have five suits, though. Wear the same one mostly, and just occasionally, to throw people off, I wear a different one. It's the pin-stripe today. But when I get home, it's the same old pair of jeans again. Of course, when I have to go out somewhere and dress up a little, that's when the problem begins... :rolleyes:

16. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

You only wash the amount of clothes you put in the machine. It really has nothing to do with the number of clothes you have.

Change your families laundering habits. Fresh undies every day is a good idea, but the farm pants can go for several days before they become too ripe. Depending on how private you are, less clothing needs to be worn. Same with towels, they don't really need a fresh towel for each shower or bath.

The more rancid you can get your family to live with, the less washing needs to be done. Find a newer, less "fresh laundered" balance.

17. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

We have been very "blessed" as far as NEVER buying new clothes.... we shop the local thrift store and usually the MENS clothes (shirts) are 25 cents with no collar and 50 cents for dress shirts.... and DH, DS17 and I all wear the same size.. so we just rotate our wardrobe between us.. we each have certain ones that are favorites and those are off limits, but usually we just share!! :) Its actually quite nice!! DS has to wear nice "golf" shirts for his job, and we find those for 50 cents EVERY weekend at the thrift store...!! :)

Ones that get slightly stained, (enough they can't be worn out to the store, or etc) DH wears to work to get grease and more nasties on them... after that, they end up in the rag bag....

I just went ys last weekend and picked up about 12 new outfits for DD2 for 25 cents each!!! I was thrilled!! All brand name, great condition!!

We really need to par down tho and go through the "it doesn't fit anymore" box for the DS and DD8...

I have been buying WINTER clothes 1/2 price at the thrift store for thelast few months to put away for MO.. since we don't need REAL winter clothing here in SO TX!!! :)

18. akmyilee

yeah, I see what ya'll are saying about the laundry, I guess I was thinking that if they had less clothes we would be more apted to conserve and rewear stuff???

Also, it is just the over abundance of clothes and the space that they take up. My mom does the yard sale thing and I shop thrift stores and clearance racks and can get some really cute stuff. What I am trying to convience myself of is that just because it is cute doesn't mean I need to buy it for my baby to wear once and not even get it dirty. KWIM?

When we figure out where we will be living I will decided if I really need to cut it down. We don't have alot of clothes compared to some I guess, between the four of us we share two dressers (two drawers apeice) and one closet.