Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been using a 3m p95 mask when around people in stores...Thought maybe I'd try the washable

cloth type..Bought a [email protected].mask...washable with filter inserts...Could barely breath

through it...The whole mask face collapses and expands as I breathed...Holding the side of the mask

against my mouth..could barely push air in and out...Are all the cloth masks like this?...The p95 is a

stiff mask with a gasket around the periphery..And passes air easily...

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Been using a 3m p95 mask when around people in stores...Thought maybe I'd try the washable

cloth type..Bought a [email protected] with filter inserts...Could barely breath

through it...The whole mask face collapses and expands as I breathed...Holding the side of the mask

against my mouth..could barely push air in and out...Are all the cloth masks like this?...The p95 is a

stiff mask with a gasket around the periphery..And passes air easily...
Shave with a razor every day and use the 95's...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just get a bandana, fold it once into a triangle, take one side of the triangle and roll it up neatly at the top, and then tie around your face. This makes it thinner and a lot easier to breathe.

Check out the emergency declarations in your area to see what you can get away with. There have been people wearing mesh masks because it says "permeable cloth", but doesn't say what type...no one says anything.

·
Registered
152 Posts
We just got the fascist memo here. Masks to be worn in public places. Well, only half fascist, not needed outside, so it is tolerable at least.

I ordered a few different ones tonight on Amazon. Some thin neck bandana types and some made in USA thicker ones. We'll see.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Used a respro for years..so I have that and the p95s...Both work well...but hard to find and

$$..

·
Super Moderator
13,265 Posts
I had to go to a town yesterday that put a cloth mask ordinance when in stores with fines for violation in place last week. Before going into the hardware store and later a hamburger joint that had walk in ordering, I put my red bandana on cowboy style with the bottom point tucked in the top of my T shirt.

Walking by three town cops at the two places, none said my cowboy style mask was in violation or tried fining me the $50 so I guess my $2 bandana was good enough for my 45 minute stop in that place.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had to go to a town yesterday that put a cloth mask ordinance when in stores with fines for violation in place last week. Before going into the hardware store and later a hamburger joint that had walk in ordering, I put my red bandana on cowboy style with the bottom point tucked in the top of my T shirt.

Walking by three town cops at the two places, none said my cowboy style mask was in violation or tried fining me the $50 so I guess my $2 bandana was good enough for my 45 minute stop in that place.
Sounds like what I've been doing. Kind of looks like I'm gonna hold up the place, but no one says anything or tries to stop me at the door. Still hate wearing a face covering, though - so uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
the store where I buy most of my building material has a wear a mask policy. they will sell you one for $1 as you enter the store. They are just flimsy cloth. I told the on duty mask inspector that these masks are just like underwear, you wear them for four days, and then turn them inside out..

·
Registered
972 Posts
the store where I buy most of my building material has a wear a mask policy. they will sell you one for $1 as you enter the store. They are just flimsy cloth. I told the on duty mask inspector that these masks are just like underwear, you wear them for four days, and then turn them inside out..
I don't need one but maybe every 2 weeks when i go to town. The doctors office gives them away just inside the door before going inside. They are paper i think. Its a double covering and hooks over the ears. Fits just under chin and over the nose just below the eyes. I don't know what brand they are. They work very well and covers very well. The grocery store and wal-mart gives you one when entering at the front of the store when going in. Just mark the front with ink pen at top so you know which side is out. If you use it more then once when you get home store it in a clean paper bag. When using it pick it up by the string that loops over ears.

·
Premium Member
5,529 Posts
I just do the bandanna. Actually get compliments that it goes well with my standard dress. I dress cowboy. I've had comments in the grocery store every time I've been in. Going to bank today. One branch is closing and I have to close out the lock box and move to the other branch. Two bank visits in bandanna in one day, oh the joy!

·
Premium Member
8,673 Posts
I’m not an extremist for or against the masks.

I think in general population day to day most all the time, they are so poorly implemented that they end up,with little value for a virus situation. Thry are much better at preventing bacteria. Virus can live in them for a time, and be spread by the constant touching and adjusting we all do to the masks as we find them uncomfortable. Reusing them, which most of us do, also leads to exposure. Most folk end up wearing them around their chin for part of the day. And so on. I just don’t see how they help so very much in the ‘real world.’ But, I’m not all fired up and opposed to those stores that require them, and any who choose to wear them.

if properly worn I would think they would help a little.

lots of politicians are advancing the use of more masks more of the time.

this might be a long winded counter point to masks, it is just on the Internet so has no more or less validity that anything else. It does raise a few points of interest. I believe it would be hosted on a conservative web site, so it clearly has no credibility to half the population from the outset.

https://www.sott.net/article/434796-The-Science-is-Conclusive-Masks-and-Respirators-do-NOT-Prevent-Transmission-of-Viruses

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
I have disposable and cloth masks, plus one bandanna, and I always use one when I'm going to be around people - given I live in the city there are always people around. My area is still a "hot spot" for cases and deaths though the number of both is dropping fast.
I prefer the paper masks,they are easier to breathe through and feel cooler, but I use the cloth ones too,without inserting a filter. The bandanna was more convenient when the weather was colder. Many places of business demand masks, and I've seen people turned away who declined to wear one. Their choice of course. I do find masks hot to wear now, and do not know how some of you folks in warmer places manage. We had a couple days of 80F recently and I thought I'd melt with that mask on.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
We’re supposedly under statewide executive order requiring masks in public, since Friday.

I went out for the first time since then, today, and took a bandanna with me just in case. I stopped at three places, and only about 25% of people were wearing masks, and around half of them (maybe less) actually had it on over their nose and mouth.

My last stop was the liquor store, which is a state-run retail shop. Not a single mask in sight, including the employees- one of which was an official of some sort, as she was just in there telling the regular employees what to do.

Im so glad we haven’t lost our marbles here yet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Used to be able to find really nice, large bandannas in amazon...Supposedly they were design for the gi's in iraq...
Issued bandannas were too small..these on line were 24 inches square...36 inch diagnol

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
About the only thing I can see that they really do is cut down on the range of spittle expulsion.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts