closing up the attic in winter time

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mike3367, Nov 17, 2006.

1. mike3367

mike3367 lost in my own mind

i was wondering how many close up the holes they have in there attics to make the house warmer, and does it really make that much of a difference to do it?

2. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

No professional, but what holes (vents?)? and you should have some ventilation for letting moisture escape your house. You don't want mold or boards/insulation to rot.

3. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

If you heat the attic up you risk having a warm roof, which can lead to ice sheets on the roof and ice getting under shingles and causing problems.

You are better off to really insulate the floor of the attic and keep a well ventilated ( cold ) attic in the winter.

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Ditto on the above warnings. Do not cover vents.

5. dakota

dakota Member

:shrug: I hate to disagree...but - I tape up two vents every year. The plumbing for my upstairs runs thru the attic and the 1st year we were here, the pipes froze. I've been taping them with duct tape (basically to keep the wind out) every year since and haven't had that problem. All the reasons listed make good sense, it just doesn't work in my case.

6. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

For the sake of your roof don't you think it would be better to insulate the pipes? I had a similiar problem with the water pipes in my attic and going heavy on pipe insulation cured the freezing problem right quick.

7. dakota

dakota Member

To be honest....the pipes froze the 1st year and my husband insulated them then taped the vents the next year. The next year he died, and I just keep doing it because it works. There are other vents in the attic that I don't tape, just the two that are closest to the pipes (and the ground). I haven't noticed any problems with the roof. Where I tape, there is a shingle roof, but the rest of the roof is tin.

8. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

we have a shingle roof--and have 6 whirley-gigs on the roof, moves wind thru all the time. but then i dont have pipes in the attic, and plan on putting heavier insulation on the joists. we dont always close up the vents under the house either-only freeze any pipes in sustained 0 temps.