Closet Doors

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mikell, Dec 16, 2003.

1. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

OK whats going on ?? Twice lately someone has stopped by while I'm working on their future home and said "don't bother putting the closet doors back on" What am I missing here. Just your basic bi-fold doors. Any thoughts.

mikell

2. RAC

RAC Guest

I would guess that the particular room is going to be used more as an office/craft room (i.e. something other than a bedroom). I've seen lots of homes where they just build in a desk, or put other shelving in. I have been watching "Clean Sweep" of late (and taking notes), and many of their episodes have the designer putting drapes where closet doors were. I'd rather have the mirrored slider doors--makes the room look bigger and reflects light.

I hate bi-folds--too easy for little ones (and grown-ups) to pinch fingers in, and depending upon the room, you lose a foot or so of space that you could put a bookcase in, for example. But that's me.

Come to think of it, one could also put an entertainment center in that space also, if the wiring were done correctly.

3. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

or maybe its because bifold malfunction so easily and so often. in my three -plus years in handyman business, it was a recurring theme...

4. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

Bi fold doors can be a pain in the patoot, but their main selling feature is that when opened, they don't take up lots of space. The second is that the louvered version does allow at least a bit of air flow, reducing mildew.

I do agree that little ones pinching their fingers is a danger - both of mine learned the hard way. :no:

5. RAC

RAC Guest

I guess the other good thing is that when they're opened, you see the entire contents of the closet at a glance--but you can't put anything in front of the opening area, or to the side. We have them in the laundry area, and you have to leave a foot and a half clearance in the front and on each side. Most annoying when you have something that extends a few inches too close that you want to place on the side wall....

As for closets, it is very easy to redo them with the shelving on one side and the hanging area on the other, so you don't need to see the whole closet at one time.

J.R. Guerra, you make a good point about the air circulation--what DH did was put little stoppers at the top of the slider area, so that each side is open about half an inch. You don't notice it unless you're right in front of it.

6. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I took all the doors off my closets in my old house. Haven't gotten around to it in this house, but they are walk in closets so leaving the door open is not quite as annoying. I had sliding doors - even worse than bifold - could only see half of the closet at once and for some reason I always managed to slide them in the wrong direction for what I wanted. Interesting to here that others have the same thoughts! The buyers of my house wanted them back on - oh well.