Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's official, we closed on the house today and are moving to New York! It's a 1920's farmhouse, needs a little work but not much, mainly just some elbow grease. It's only on 1 acre, but it's 6 miles down the road from our 23 acres where we are going to build our homestead. We originally were looking for something with a little more land, but I'm glad now we found this smaller parcel so we can focus on the "main" place. We're going to live there while building our earth sheltered, passive solar house. We've been working on the design for about a year now and I"m sure it'll change more with the more we learn. Anyway, I'm so excited. We move pretty soon. My employer is going to let me keep my job and work from home. I hope not to do that too long, just a couple more years. I'm used to working full-time and then full-time on the homestead though, so the next few years will be a pleasant transition. It'll be so nice to be at home to lend a helping hand in those two person jobs or work during my lunch break outside.

My cup runneth over. :bouncy:

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Congradulations ! were in NY ? A new neighbor would be nice.

Patty

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
Patty0315 said:
Congradulations ! were in NY ? A new neighbor would be nice.

Patty
I am thrilled that they are going to be less than twenty miles from me!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
double post

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HilltopDaisy said:
I am thrilled that they are going to be less than twenty miles from me!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:
and we're already borrowing stuff :rolleyes:

Patty: We're going to be in what I guess you'd call finger lakes area, HilltopDaisy correct me if I"m wrong. I know I have a lot to learn about the area.

Pony: It took me a minute (because I need to slow down and read) but that was one of the nicest things to say. I thought "wow that was sweet!"

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Have safe travels and a "hassle free" move. Please send pics once you start working on the new house! It sounds like a great plan.

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
special-k said:
Welcome to New York State. We're almost neighbors.

What made to choose New York?
Well when everything we wanted was down on paper, upstate NY had the most check marks I guess you could say. Good land at affordable prices, rolling hills, close to natural/alternative building schools and classes, close enough to an airport to visit family, close to a town where I could get good vegetarian food (Ithaca) and imports, good homesteading and farmer base, not close to the ocean and away from the heat of south Texas. Of course there were many more factors than just that, those are just the highlights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts