Close Call

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Txsteader, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Txsteader

Txsteader Well-Known Member

Like Cyngbaeld's unexpected freeze, we were surprised to find frost this morning. Low was only around 40 degrees (Galveston county). Panic! Corn is a foot tall, beans are beginning to bloom, maters are 18" tall and lush. Fretting if the frost would melt before the sun reached my babies. We lucked out though, everything pulled through fine. I was glad I hadn't yet planted the peppers and cukes; figure they would have been goners for sure.

Here's hoping for no more frosty surprises :nono:

2. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

I was cleaning out nest boxes today watching snow come down! Seedlings started inside, ground too wet to work yet. At least the fruit trees still have tight buds, not loosing peaches yet.

3. Salmonberry

Salmonberry Registered Nut

The snow is melting here, does that count?

4. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

It has been on the chilly side here in GA for the past few nights. I covered everything with straw. Mine aren't up much yet, in fact, some are just poking their little heads out! One more night and we should be fine unless another cold front passes through.

Sherry in GA

5. bonsai jim

bonsai jim Well-Known Member

It was 35 at 6 a.m. here in Santa Fe. Zapped my tomatoes and peppers AGAIN. Time for store bought...

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

My peaches had bloomed and had tiny peaches. The 'squite was leafing out and is brown now. All the trees around have big leaves. And it was in the 80s for Pete's sake!

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Got nipped here the night before last but not too bad. One persimmon lost about 90% of the new leaves and blossoms. The hen yard mulberry about 50%. One citrus tree, a few figs and blueberries got nipped in minor ways.

It's been worse in other years. In 2003 we had a last freeze come so late it even bit one of my pecan trees.

.....Alan.