Close Call! Field fire!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ann Mary, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Yesterday a combine caught a wheat field on fire across the road from our house and we had about 5 minutes to get a few items and get out! The wind all the sudden picked up and BLEW anad the fire spread like crazy. Just as the fire got in front of our house it started to rain! What an answer to prayer! The fire stopped at the road and didn't cross it to our house. The farmer worked feverishly with his plow to contain it. Guess my word of encouragement here is to keep your lawns green around your house if you have one and keep your trees watered where you can...anything to keep the fire at bay! Since we are in the VERY rolling hills of the Palouse prairie we do not have much time to see where a fire is before it is at your front door!

2. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

How very frightening! Fire is my worst fear here, too in eastern Colorado. We occasionally discuss our evacuation plans for ourselves and the animals in case of a wild land fire which can happen at any time on the plains. All we need are a couple weeks of dry hot weather, then a lightening storm, and voila, you have the makings of a catastrophe. Glad things worked out ok for you! Jan in Co

3. wildwestwoman

wildwestwoman Well-Known Member

We're about a mile or so from I-40. The past 2 summers we've had fires started on the freeway. Last year it was extinguished before it got close to homes. This year it was within inches of our neighbors homes. The air tankers arrived just in time. During the summer we 1) keep all brush and grass etc away from our homes 2) keep our cistern full (we live in a haul water area). Wild fires in the West are scary stuff. There's just nothing to stop them except the firefighters. Those guys and gals work so hard. They're greatly appreciated.

Happy Day

Suzi

4. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

Fire scares me. In 1996 we almost lost our place north of Flagstaff to the Hochdoerffer Fire. The hotshots dumped slurry and we lost only a fence post and our wood pile. But our neighbors just a few hundred yards away were completely burned out. The beautiful Ponderosa forest was turned into a moonscape of black snags. I was happy it rained all day yesterday here!

5. Joy in Eastern WA

Joy in Eastern WA Well-Known Member

Ann Mary, we are also located in the palouse area as well and we've had two friends loose quite a few acres this year to fire starting from the combine. One lost 200 acres Tuesday and another lost 100 this past Sunday. Everyone escaped serious injuries, but smoke inhalation and minor burns were reported from both farms. We've been seeing fires just about everyday since harvest has begun, but yesterday was a welcome relief with the rain.

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Ann,glad you are OK,fire is the one that scares me most,just zero you can do when its an inferno.

BooBoo