Cliques?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by gryndlgoat, Dec 12, 2006.

1. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

I've noticed this with my five goats, and just wondered if it was usual...

We have Sugar the herd queen, second in command is Badger the buck. Taffy the other mature doe is rock bottom. Her two daughters, now two years old, fall somewhere in the middle.

But what I have noticed is that Sugar and Badger are usually a little herd to themselves and Taffy and her girls form another little herd, usually close by but not part of the other "clique".

For those of you with lots of goats (I know some of you have upwards of 50)- is this common? Do you end up with dozens of little herds in the one big herd? And is there always only one herd queen when the numbers get up there?

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Yes. Herd behavior. No different than your local junior high. Tippy, my "queen" truly believes she's the top of the goat pile. Don't even CONSIDER petting or cooing over some other lower goat before paying your respects to her royal highness.

3. horsehelper

horsehelper Well-Known Member

Very much so. I have one OLD gal, "Chuckles" who tends to stay off by herself. But also often "babysits" the small kids while Moms go off browsing the woods. She is also the first one to challenge my dogs when they go in the pen. Mine will pair off in family groups...kids will stay with Mom even if they were totally seperated when weaned. As soon as they return to the main herd, they gravitate back to Mom. I have one group of 4 generations who all hang together. It's really interesting how they interact with each other.

4. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

5. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, same thing here. There is the herd queen, who is the "Boss of the Universe", and a pecking order within the herd which is readjusted every time I change things up, but it seems that every goat in the herd has a special buddy or 2 that they prefer to hang with. You know when you separate them! Lots of crying and carrying on when you break up a set of buddies. Makes breeding season interesting when you have to take a doe to a buck, away from her best friend. The more I see of goat behavior, the more I see that reminds me of human behavior....and yes, jr high cliques come to mind. <shudder> ;)