Clipping Puppies' Nails

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by TrudyPowell, Mar 24, 2006.

1. TrudyPowell

TrudyPowell Well-Known Member

I rread somewhere that puppies claws should be clipped weekly. Our puppies will be two weeks old tomorrow. Is this something I should do and, if so, how do I do it? I don't want to clip too far down. Do I use regular nail clippers or do I need something made especially for this purpose?

Thanks!
    Trudy Powell

2. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

you will notice the shape of the nail is like a hook at this point. Hold regular finger nail clippers and hold the paw, just clip off the tip or hook of the nail. Most breeds at this age you can see the pink quick. Avoid that and you will be fine. It would be easier to explain in a drawing. If you would like one, e-mail me.

3. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Definitely get started now. Those nails are like daggers! Like Chma said, just clip off the hooks. No need for any special equipment at this point.

4. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Ditto , and Mom will love you for it !

5. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

if for some reason you accidantly hit the quick dip in a small pile of medicated powder( you can get it at any grocery or drug store) and it will stop the bleeding. Not only is it better for the dog and for your legs and arms LOL!!! But the sooner you get the pup used to it the less trouble you will have trimming them when it gets older!

6. TrudyPowell

TrudyPowell Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I've clipped them, and it has to be somewhat more comfortable for mama as they all go crazy trying to squirm their way to an eating spot.

Trudy Powell

7. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Trudy, you might think of running a nail file over each one of those little nails. As you can tell, when you clip them off they are still left with jagged edges, especially as the dogs get older. Using a nail file will make them smooth and much nicer for "mom" and people too!

There are files just for dogs. ;)

I use my Drimmel Tool for the nails on my three cattle dogs. This makes for smooth nails.

:) LQ

8. mizattitude

mizattitude Well-Known Member

Use a dremmel instead of clippers. The clippers squeeze the nail, and its more painful for them, from what I hear. Plus they still have sharp points.
    I dremmel both of my doberman nails..and the nails are blunt and it only takes about a couple of minutes. Its loud..but they get used to the vibration quite easily. Its a godsend compared to the clippers

9. rr

rr Active Member

Lots of people swear by the Dremel tool, mostly I think using the sanding drum -- check on that before you try.
    Let the pup get used to hearing it before you approach him, and ease up to him before actually doing his nails. Be very careful not to overheat the nail with the Dremel -- that can be painful for the pup.
    Have fun.
    Oh, the bloodstopping powder is called styptic powder. comes as a powder or pressed into a stick. It does the job. People use it too -- it can be a barber's best friend.
    rr

10. Wolf Flower

Wolf Flower Married, not dead! Supporter

The dremel is great, but slow, and watch out for the resulting toenail dust. That stuff kills me if I breathe it in, which is why I prefer to clip nails instead of grinding. When I dremel nails I like to do it after a bath, while the foot is still wet. This cuts down on the dust.

The trick with clipping is to not to squeeze, but to *snap* the clippers really quickly and decisively. Dogs can't stand that squeezing sensation on their toes. For very young pups, human fingernail clippers work fine. But after a couple months of age or so, I like the "pliers" type clippers as opposed to the guillotine-type. Getting puppies used to having their nails trimmed at a young age is a very, very, very good idea. :)