Clipping needle teeth

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Laura Workman, May 20, 2005.

1. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

OK, got another question. (By the way, thanks for all the great information about castration!) When do you cut needle teeth? My pigs are 11 days old. Have I missed my chance? Can I just use normal sidecutters? (These are PBPs, for those who don't know.) Thanks again!

2. mink

mink Well-Known Member

laura if you keep them in a pen just hang a short piece of small chain ....they like to chew on it and wont have a problem with their teeth ..least regular pigs dont seem to.....mink

3. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

Laura,

I did mine about that time and it was fine. The smaller & younger they are, the easier it is to hold them. Make sure momma pig is far away because they will squeal which will set her off. I used wire cutters and cut the teeth until they were even with the gum line. They will Wiggle like mad but once you get the pliers in their mouth, they will settle.

Remember there are 2 sets of needle teeth (total of 8 teeth) to cut. Its one of those things that you want to do once and not do again. Make sure you get them all level with the gums at least. As I completed each one I would send them out to momma pig and they would nurse to calm down.

Good Luck!

Dan

4. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

Laura, you don't have to do anything. I have farrowed to finished hogs for 30 years and have never clipped teeth. They will chew on the wire of the pen or something so you don't have to worry about it.

5. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

Won't that interfere with nursing the piglets? I noticed a difference with momma pig when we cut the piglets teeth. The momma pig seemed abit more comfortable nursing than before.

Dan