climbing vine ideas?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Terri in WV, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Terri in WV

Terri in WV Well-Known Member Supporter

south central Kentucky(finally out of all the snow
    I have a 6' ugly chain link fence around my pool that I'm wanting to cover up with some kind of climbing vine and would like suggestions. I want something that I can basicly plant and forget about. I was thinking maybe honeysuckle? What do you all recommend?

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Morning glories. I have some, I never touch them. In fact, I planted some blackberries there now, so I don't really want them, kind of tried to pull them out last year. Half-hearted effort, they did just fine. :rolleyes: They are very pretty. If this area is kind of shaded, they will last longer in the day. Even when they are closed they are pretty. I could probably send you some seeds if you wanted some.

3. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Something more to think about---where there are flower blossoms they may attract bees. Kids, bees, swimming--you draw the conclusion.

To some the Moonflower has an unpleasant odor.

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

The morning glories are beautiful, but not good for livestock, therefore I assume not good for kids to nibble, either. How about grapes? I've seen some old ones on chain link before.

Meg

6. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

HOPS! A very vigorous vine. The only thing you might have to do is cut out the dead vines each year, if you don't like the look of them. The hops vine will die back to the ground each season and start growing again in the spring from the root. It might be a pain in the butt to clean out old hop vines from a chain-link fence, but what a great plant!

7. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

grapes attact snakes - flowers bees - yellow and black horse flies - why not screen with bushed in front of fence?

8. dakani

dakani Well-Known Member

How about luffa? You not only cover the chain, you also get back scrubbers!

9. Terri in WV

Terri in WV Well-Known Member Supporter

south central Kentucky(finally out of all the snow
    Thanks for the ideas and thanks Windy for the note about bees-didn't even think of that!

10. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i love moonflowers, as my mother used to grow them. one year they were as big a dinner plates!!

i thought about morning glories too. here they are an invasive weed, so you could plant them and forget them, and they'd come back every year. but in the winter, the old vines would be messy. i love old timey flowers like hollyhocks, and they grow tall enough to hide a fence. or small shrubs? butterfly bushes would be nice, and don't attract bees, just butterflies! or something that attracts hummingbirds, like trumpet creeper, or there is something called a hummingbird vine that is real easy to grow. that would be fun.

11. bare

bare Head Muderator

I was thinking hops too. They grow fast, last the entire season and you don't have to worry about replanting them again.

12. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

What zone are you in? Do you want something annual or perrenial? 4 season, or summer and fall? I grow hops and clematis for perrenial cover. My favorite annual vine is actually cucumber! The foliage is pretty, and you will get an amazing crop with no yellow sides. I just mound up some ammended soil along the fence and plant the seeds in a row, fairly close together. Another thing you can consider (although not a vine) is rose of sharon. Anybody who has one probably has a zillion seedlings in their yard that they will happily share. Plant them fairly close together next to the fence, prune them every year, and soon you will have a hedge that hides the fence. Good luck! There are so many pretty possibilities.

13. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

How about a plain and simple evergreen ivy like the boston ivy?

14. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

if you paint it black you won't even really notice it at all. Kind of just dissapears.