Climbing roses? want info

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ellebeaux, Dec 29, 2005.

1. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'd like to train some climbing roses to go from either side of my front porch over the porch roof. Very English cottage garden style. But I don't know what kind to get! The few catalogs I have looked at say the roses only grow 6' or 8' high.

Does any one have any suggestions of a rose catalog or website that would tell me how to do this?

thanks!

Beaux

2. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

If nobody from your area answers, then try going down to the nearest garden store and asking. Sometimes it's best to find out what likes the climate, roses are picky bastards.
    There are varieties that get huge.

3. TNnative

TNnative Well-Known Member

My favorite can be viewed here - http://www.waysidegardens.com/webap...earch&SearchText=heirloom roses&OfferCode=S3H

A friend of mine has one trained over a metal arch at the entrance of her garden spot, very pretty! I bought one a couple years ago and mine isn't quite big enough to go over an arch yet, but it's getting there. I love roses but do not have good luck with regular ones. I decided to try the heirloom varieties, hoping they will not be as finicky. So far Zephirine has been pretty good. I also had a Reine de Violettes (wonderful scent!), however, something gnawed it off at the roots last winter. :( I want to get another and try again.

4. TNnative

I don't know what zone you are in, but this is supposed to be a great rose for the south, zones 7-10. I might have to try one of these myself.
    http://www.waysidegardens.com/webap...el=Roses AS&SearchText=p16.v225&OfferCode=S3H

I should say that I am not trying to promote Wayside Gardens here, this is just where I happened to find the pics and info on these roses. I would be interested if anyone knows of a good place to get a catalog for heirloom roses.

5. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Heirloom or antique roses have some wonderful climbing varieties that you might enjoy - and they tend to be hardier in any area than hybrids. There are a number of sellers - Antique Rose Emporium is one of the biggest. Go to the garden watchdog (there's a link directly to that on this forum with growing zones) and then check out the various mail order antique rose sellers.

BW

6. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Paul's Scarlet Climber is perfect for what you want. Everyone in my family grows it - starting with my great-grandmother and all of our plants are from cuttings of hers.

7. ellebeaux

Thanks all! I'll start looking at all these. I DON'T want to be a rose snob/fanatic/obsessive - I just want something that will have a good chance of growing and that I don't have to fuss with.

I'm hoping that I have magic soil here. You would not believe how awesome my neighbor's yard plants look and she does nothing to them (she claims). Though the green/chem lawn guy does do the yard regularly. I'm not sure if all that fertilizer gets into the beds around the house indirectly.

8. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I will have to find the name,, but at the old farm I had some wonderful old roses.
    One was a climbing rose with a small very clear soft pink rose. It only bloomed 1 month out of the year,, but my oh my... it was the most wonderful sight. It was a rose from 1860/1890. Think it was a UK rose??

The other two that were also my favorites where French roses.

I used horse manure and crushed oysters shells with all my roses. Had very little if any bug problems over the years using those two things.

9. TNnative

Ellebeaux - when you decide on a rose (or 2 or 3), post and let us know what you got. Inquiring minds want to know!

Denise

10. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

I have seen where in cottage gardens they layer plants. Would putting a climbing vine on the proch and then add a climbing rose in front work? I have a climbing Queen Elizabeth and it looks rather lonly all by herself. vines seem to grow taller and fuller.

My mom has the fall clematis ( small white fragrant blooms)on the light pole and a Pink rose in front. It is really lovely. the clematis does want to sort of take over if not pruned back some.

11. ellebeaux

I like those Rose New Dawn ones...I want something pale pink and smelly, er, I mean fragrant. Or maybe pale pink and yellow together. I think I'll just buy several and let them duke it out for mastery of my front porch. I guess it could take years but it would be so cool to be able to sit on the front porch with a cool drink and smell the roses...

12. TNnative

Pale pink and yellow do sound good together. I like the idea of planting several and just letting them take over.

13. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Jacobs coat is a interesting Climbing rose. It has tons of flowers all season, quite hardy. What is neat about this one, is it's flowers are red, orange, yellow and a blushy pink all on one plant!
    [​IMG]

Foudn this web site I never have seen before. Don't know any thing about it but it has good pictures.

http://www.climbingroses.com/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?page=index

From Raintree Nursery I just bought...
    Colette cr
    [​IMG]
    &
    Polka cr
    [​IMG]
    Have never had these two so should be interesting.

14. ellebeaux

I like that website - lots of nice looking roses and some that even go 30 feet tall! But I've never heard of the idea of growing roses on trees - do they mean literal trees? Or just wooden frames?