climbing roses help

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by okiemom, Aug 16, 2005.

1. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

Hi,

I planted a Queen Elizabeth climbing rose in my raised flower bed. The raises bed helps keep kids and dogs out (so far). I have had no flowers this year and can't remember how to prune a climbing rose any tips? As of yet I don't have it trellised. It is acting more like a tall rose. Thanks katharine

2. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Lack of flowers, provided that it recieving enough sun and water, mean that it is lacking in nutirents...most likely potassium or phosporus...I can't remember at this moment which one but both help! But, if you feed it about a cup of bone meal-scratch it in well so 'critters' don't try to get it- next year it should reward you with blooms. I'd do it again in the spring too. Roses are heavey feeders and if the food isn't there they just won't bloom. Normally a climber isn't pruned until it's 2-3rd year and then only to clear out diseased or overgrown canes. Be sure to deadhead it wjem it does bloom down to a five-leaf place on the stem and that too will keep it blooming. A dose of 1 cup epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) will stimulate the roots to grow without causing top growth...mine get this early spring and them at least once during the growing season. Really helps root health and growth. Best wishes of tons of beautiful pink flowers! oh, keep in mind that roses love banana peels worked in as well!

3. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

There could be another problem besides nutrients, and that is this particular rose's growing and blooming habits. If this is a variety that blooms only on old wood, produced the previous year, then if the canes die back in the winter there won't be any flowers this year because all the canes are new. I seem to remember that QE the climber is one of these -- although I can't lay my hands on that particular reference at the moment.

If that's the case and this is your problem (I'm not sure what your winters are like), then the canes will need to be untied from their supports every fall, laid down on the ground, and covered well with soil, leaves, etc. Uncover them in the spring and tie them back up and they should bloom.