Climate changes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Nov 14, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

The shorter days and cool weather signify the change we are about the to through as fall fades to winter. When I was a child, snow was a given, we got it, and lots of it. Pictures from the past prove it, snowbanks well over our heads. Now, it seems every year there is less, and less. One year it didn't snow till February! And only about a foot at that! Thats very unusual for this area which usually has at least one foot of snow on the ground for Christmas. Thunder and lightening and rain storms in January! Very rare in the past, but becoming common now. If there are people out there that don't think the climate is changing, think again! The changes are slow, right now, but whats in our future? Are we headed for a man made apocolypse? You people in Florida may have thought that this hurricane season!!! I just wonder whats next. :confused:

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Be careful what you ask for! I don't think the earth's climate cycles change every 10-50 years, it's probably more in the hundreds or thousands of years at least so I don't think we have enough data to truly ASSume anything about weather cycles.

3. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Since there were glaciers and thaws before man could make an impact,
    I think many humans imagine their powers are far more than reality
    would suggest.
    Ann

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Remember the record deep snowfalls in the mid 90's??
    I remember rain on christmas day 20 years ago around here.
    Several severe winters in a row in the 80's nearly depleted the starved deer herds in yards.
    True that the last several years have seemed warmer than usual. Last year we had a foot of snow on the ground, this year and the year before last is no snow. We seem to have milder January to March, but remember last spring May to September was colder than average.

What I see more evidence of climate change is the change in insect and sometimes birds seen that haven't been before, so it would seem if they are moving up or staying longer would more represent a longer shift in milder climate over a year long average.

If you follow the reports about the conditions in the high arctic, that is startling evidence over the last 10 years of shorter spring and more thawing where it's more dangerous to rely on ice conditions for travel and the native hunting, polar bear fertility and inability to succeed as well in hunting seals, etc. That is a closer indicator of where the planet is heading about green house gas climate changing our environment.
    I guess what could happen in this region of boreal forest is more drying/forest fire clearing and changing some landscape. On a bright note, with some addition of compost we'll have a longer gardening season to grow hellish big ripe tomatoes. :rolleyes:

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I think that some people are watching too many movies starring Randy and Dennis Quaid lately.

"Category 6: Day of Destruction"

"The Day After Tomorrow"

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

The Earth's climate has always been changing. Always.

It's only that most of the cycles involved in the change are so long in duration that we've only recently even become aware of them.

Then there's the shorter term stuff like droughts, hurricanes cycles and so on. Every so many years they get worse or they get better. My grandfathers used to be able to tell some stories about the hurricane here in Florida as we had them back in the twenties, thirties, forties, and fifties. It may be that we're heading back to that after a long more-or-less quiet spell. Maybe.

The really long term changes we're only just now beginning to catch on to and we're not sure if what we think we are seeing is real or not and if it is real what role we may have played in bringing them about.

Keeps us from being bored doesn't it? Why, were it not for our four hurricanes I'd have gotten all sorts of work done that I wanted to do! :haha:

.....Alan.

7. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I have found some diaries my folks kept here on the farm since the late 1830s. While I was disappointed to find little in the way of personal information they were a pretty thorough as far as weather went. After reviewing them you could see how things went in cycles. At times it was much warmer than it is now and other times it was colder. Sometimes the storms were severe sometimes the weather was quite docile. There is an ebb and flow to these kinds of things.

The ones screaming bloody murder about "global warming" were screaming bloody murder about "a new ice age" back in the 1970s. I suppose it will be "global mildness" next. Hey, if they weren't screaming about something they might have to actually go do something useful with their time which might result in substantially less media exposure.

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

A typical web site like this would have people all over each extreme position on this....

I have to keep reminding myself of the well-balanced group of people that are here. :)

It is certainly worth looking into - a little self reflection is a good thing now & then, but I believe this old planet has done a lot of climate fluctuations all on it's own over the millenia, & we are pretty much along for the ride....

--->Paul

9. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

The climate of Kansas has indeed changed over my nearly 58 years of life. The heat doesn't get as hot nor last as long. The winters aren't as severe and with less snowfall, rarely a really nasty blizzard. What they call a blizzard now-a-days is just a heavy snow of old.

I personally think that farming methods in Kansas have a lot to do with the local changes.
    Conservation tillage or no-til affects how snow blows around and into drifts or stays on the flat. Also it has to affect transpiration of the land into the air--less moisture in the air, less moisture for snow to form from.

In my opinion, indeed people are affecting the climate. In large cities the heat build up has to change how rain falls over the city. If storm clouds move over an area producing rain, the heat given off from all of that cement, asphalt and brick has to affect the rainfall.
    I'm in a city of approx. 50,000 and my rural property just outside the city nearly always gets more rainfall than in town.

Good or bad, we certainly are affecting the weather of today. Oh yeah, I've found few people that aren't for global warming. We greatly appreciate the warmer winters here in Kansas.

10. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Since I am rather older than dirt, I can remember many cycles. Like I do remember the intense hurricane seasons in the 50's. We have had seasons of deep snow and seasons of very little snow.....hard winters, easy winters....droughts and too much rain.

I watched the movie "Day after Tomorrow".......rather intense and I personally don't buy it, but who really knows?? I do know that I feel it is my duty to limit my fossil fuel usage as much as possible. It figures into economic stewardship as well as just good stewardship of the earth resources.