Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
31,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The discovery adds to the ongoing mystery of Antarctica's expanding sea ice. According to climate models, the region's sea ice should be shrinking each year because of global warming. Instead, satellite observations show the ice is expanding, and the continent's sea ice has set new records for the past three winters. At the same time, Antarctica's ice sheet (the glacial ice on land) is melting and retreating.

http://news.yahoo.com/robot-sub-finds-surprisingly-thick-antarctic-sea-ice-161703215.html

·
Registered
31,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
31,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Saving the equivalent of some 130 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide so cheaply would be a big win. But it is still only a tenth of what would need to be done to ensure that the temperature in 2100 is no more than 2°C higher than it was at the time of the Industrial Revolution—the limit that the countries of the world have committed themselves to.

http://www.economist.com/news/brief...ve-done-most-slow-global-warming-deepest-cuts

·
Registered
9,621 Posts
HDrider, you said yourself the Antarctic land mass was losing ice. More runoff from the land mass means the water around Antarctica is less saline, which makes it more prone to freezing. Face it, the globe is indeed slowly warming, and this nice little blanket of fossil fuel emissions is part of the cause.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
HDrider, you said yourself the Antarctic land mass was losing ice. More runoff from the land mass means the water around Antarctica is less saline, which makes it more prone to freezing. Face it, the globe is indeed slowly warming, and this nice little blanket of fossil fuel emissions is part of the cause.
Er, you might want to understand the loss of ice before you attribute it to "global warming".

Antarctica is a land of ice. But dive below the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, and you'll find fire as well, in the form of subglacial volcanoes.
Now, a new study finds that these subglacial volcanoes and other geothermal "hotspots" are contributing to the melting of Thwaites Glacier, a major river of ice that flows into Antarctica's Pine Island Bay. Areas of the glacier that sit near geologic features thought to be volcanic are melting faster than regions farther away from hotspots, said Dustin Schroeder, the study's lead author and a geophysicist at the University of Texas at Austin.

This melting could significantly affect ice loss in the West
http://www.livescience.com/46194-volcanoes-melt-antarctic-glaciers.html

·
Registered
9,621 Posts
And look a little deeper into the subject and you will see that 'subglacial volcanoes' are but ONE contributor to loss of land ice on Antarctica. WARMER ocean and air temps are the others that I am sure you'd rather ignore.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Ice cover on the Great Lakes earlier than the last 40 years.
I haven't been following, but is the ice forming this year already? I know last year the lakes had near record ice cover. How many years will it take for them to become a trend?

I remember seeing a news item several years back where in the European alps, skiing had been shut down in some areas due to no snow. It was a one year thing. But it was attributed to........ "global warming". Those kind of stories are absolute bunk, but they are everywhere. How does one fight the insanity?

They can pick a one year anomaly, but we sure are not allowed, are we?

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
And look a little deeper into the subject
and you will see that 'subglacial volcanoes' are but ONE contributor
to loss of land ice on Antarctica. WARMER ocean and air temps are
the others that I am sure you'd rather ignore.
who produce tons of 'selected' charts taken from questionable locations
and/or methods, that state "thus saith us....you now MUST believe!"
At best this is NOT even scientific, but rather has transcended into
the realm of a religious cult whose adherents must convert the
masses in order to maintain control over their individual fiefdoms. :drum:

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrDq6tD5Lzc[/ame]

Y'all might want to invest in long underwear!

There are plenty more videos. Just go to youtube and search mini ice age.

·
Registered
857 Posts
argue either side,here in cny?its weird.neice #2 just had 7' of snow (Depew-buffalo).neice #1 looking at noreaster in Massachusetts.i'm here in cny thinkin about mowin the lawn one more time!go figure!

·
Registered
507 Posts
One thing people seem to forget is that for most of the earths history there have been NO polar ice sheets. We're still coming out of the last iceage, the records would predict a mini iceage is due very soon (5-20 years driven by solar cycles) but after that it will continue to warm. Average world temperatures when most of the worlds carbon rich rocks were layed down were 15C (sorry do not know what that is in F) higher than they are today (and sea level was about 300ft higher but that will not happen for a different reason). Whether man is accelerating the warming is kind of a moot point, it will warm, and we should worry about how to adapt to the change rather than suggest stupid ways to try and stop it. I am however all for limiting ALL emissions, polution is a bad idea golbal warming or no.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I thought the real concern had nothing to do about this much or that much ice, warmer temps, colder temps, more rain, less rain, whatever, which, as we all know, swings in varying amounts - usually dependent on weather patterns, over years and decades anyway, as it always has.

Unless my information is incorrect, the real global warming threat comes from data showing how the levels of CO2 have increased dramatically in modern times, as measured by ice cores.

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
This year we had two seasons spring and winter. We have already been -12 that's Nirmal for the end of january. we are 20-40 ° below normal. our warmest day was 92 this year. that's not even hot. it was too cold most days to swim. I was seriously counting on global warming so I didn't have to move south.

·
Registered
31,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought the real concern had nothing to do about this much or that much ice, warmer temps, colder temps, more rain, less rain, whatever, which, as we all know, swings in varying amounts - usually dependent on weather patterns, over years and decades anyway, as it always has.

Unless my information is incorrect, the real global warming threat comes from data showing how the levels of CO2 have increased dramatically in modern times, as measured by ice cores.

It is, incorrect..

·
Registered
3,591 Posts

I'm not going to go searching for it but it would be interesting to know what the CO2 increases are in the oceans now, especially the Pacific. We know that the oceans are acidifying now so it must be getting right up there pretty high for acidification to be happening. And we know that the Pacific is the engine that runs the entire world's climate and that the Pacific is a lot warmer now than it was 30 years ago. The surface heat from the warmer Pacific is what caused the jet stream to shift the polar vortex to the south last winter and it's doing it again now this winter with the super-typhoon as the precursor, while everywhere else on the globe is experiencing changes in their seasons too. I suspect that the polar vortex shifts moving south over North America during the winters will be a new trend from now on as long as the Pacific is continuing to increase in warmth.

After the 4 month long record breaking heatwaves without rain that we had here in my part of the normally "wet" coast this past summer I anticipated that the polar vortex would shift south earlier this year than it did last year and I'm glad I prepared for it. Right as rain and with the coming of super-typhoon Nuri which was caused by the warmer Pacific, we got more tropical warm rain here in the month of November than what we would ordinarilly get in a year and everything in the rain-shadow east of the Rockies got dumped on with snow because of Nuri causing the polar vortex to shift south earlier than last year.

So I'm thinking if this keeps up in this same pattern then next year we'll probably see the Pacific's super-typhoons happening in October instead of November, the polar vortex will shift south again as part of the pattern and all of North America will get chilly and snowier for longer again. For sure it will be interesting to see how the rest of this coming winter season proceeds.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts