Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to be happening quite a bit lately that people who are supposed to be "serving" me think it is OK to make sour remarks and "correct" me. I just got a voicemail from the pharmacy. I failed to pick up a prescription. I was out of town some days. Annoyance & accusation in the tone & vocabulary. A few days back I tried to buy jeans, which I thought were marked down 30%. At the register, I got a perplexed facial expression from the clerk, who is "busy" looking at a collection of earrings laid out on the counter. Then, "Oh, that was yesterday. The person who was supposed to switch the signs this morning is a trainee." This at almost 2PM. Ummm... Sometimes it isn't even worth speaking to the manager. There aren't enough stores in town here to shop somewhere else, but I can travel or go online, I guess.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Don't know the laws down there but here in Canada if the marked price is different from the price on file they have to go with the posted price. The only way around that is have notices posted but most companies would rather keep on employees they already pay instead of paying for advertisement. On the other hand if you order something and can't pick it up at the appointed time a simple phone-call does wonders for attitudes.

Sorry it I seem a little harsh and I'm not judging you but working as a retail butcher for the last decade has shown me how inconsiderate and/or rude some customers can be - so kinda the flip side of this.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I worked in produce at the local Wal-Mart. My manager was a stickler for fixing the signs asap because the customer had every right to pay the price listed. Even if it wasn't in the computer that way anymore. Lots of times the cashier would call our department to ask if we had changed our sign yet because someone checking out claimed the sign said otherwise five minutes ago. We would always say yes to give it to them at the past price.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm not sure about there but here in FL. we pay what it's marked. I went to Dick's when they first opened here and they had a gun cabinet marked $75. When I got to the register it came up $250. So I told ole girl to get the manager. She called him and told him what was going on and when he came up he wasn't happy to say the least. He told me that the price was $250 I told him you better go look at the sign you have sitting on top of the rest of'em. you have them marked $75 that's what I'm paying. He went back where they were on display I followed and he said ok. You're right they are suppose to serve us and if they want to be rude I have no problem treating them as they treat me.

·
Premium Member
25,279 Posts
One of the places I shop regularly has some very lazy tag changers. The expiration date is printed on the tag and I have occasionally taken their tags down and brought them to the check-out counter and asked for the sale price since the tag was still up. They usually thank me for bringing it to their attention. In many places they have to sell you the item at the posted price, it's a consumer protection law.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
I'd just gotten up to the cashier at an auto parts store when he walked away to talk to another employee. I waited an appropriate time, about 10 seconds, and yelled "HEY, YOU'VE GOT A CUSTOMER STANDING HERE".

I'm convinced lots of retail people don't connect the idea of no customers = no job.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I agree, clerks CAN be horrible to deal with at times, but, if you really want to see something absolutely horrendous to deal with, try dealing with customers.
Customers, more often than not are the rudest, most dishonest, inconsiderate, self absorbed jerks to ever have any part of a clerk/customer encounter.

Dealt with customers for 2 years when I worked at a Ford dealership and for about 6 years with my own business.

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
I agree, clerks CAN be horrible to deal with at times, but, if you really want to see something absolutely horrendous to deal with, try dealing with customers.
Customers, more often than not are the rudest, most dishonest, inconsiderate, self absorbed jerks to ever have any part of a clerk/customer encounter.

Dealt with customers for 2 years when I worked at a Ford dealership and for about 6 years with my own business.
This is true. I worked in retail for several years during the 70's and 80's. It was working with the public that convinced me that kind of work wasn't for me. And that was back when we were taught to say thank you for shopping at...., as well as, counting back the customer's change. Now ya get "There ya go," and they hand you your receipt, bills and coins all in a big wad.

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Ppl are generally rude to me once and they don't get a chance to do it again.

Ask the young doctor who tried to explain to me all about Post Polio Syndrome when I have been dealing with it for years! Her name is now right on my chart saying not to allow her near me. The twit probably had never seen a polio survivor!

If ppl are allowed to be rude, they won't change their attitudes.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
Why is it that the nice people get the rude clerks, the rude people get the nice clerks? The two who deserve each other should meet!

·
The Prairie Homemaker
2,974 Posts
I have been retail and I am often a consumer.
What I have learned is having a good day is a choice.
I was always professional with my customers, even when I could not do what they wanted.
I find being rude on either side of the counter never pays.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
What MJslady says is absolutely true. Doesn't matter whether it's the customer or the clerk, people have gotten ruder by the year. Not sure 'ruder' is a word, maybe more rude? Anyway, we're more impatient and rude. I've held my tongue as young clerks try to make adjustments when I've been overcharged, knowing I could do it in a heartbeat, but it's obvious no one has trained them correctly. I always try to be courteous to the clerk, to other shoppers and employees. You never know what a terrible day or things that person is dealing with. Seems to follow that if you spread a little kindness, it mushrooms all around you.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I went to the BMV to get plates on my new vehicle. The gal waiting on me suddenly stops & starts to carry on a conversation with the customer next to me. She had overheard that customer & the other worker talking about Avon & suddenly she decided her Avon order was m ore important than waiting on me. I really, really hate our local BMV.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
I always try to be courteous to the clerk, to other shoppers and employees. You never know what a terrible day or things that person is dealing with.
I agree. I mean, we're all in this together, right? :)

If a checkout is really backed up, I'll try to say a kind word to the cashier, for instance by acknowledging how hard she's working. After all, rolling your eyes and tapping your foot isn't going to make the line go any faster!

And lately it seems to me that more retail and dining establishments are catering to customers and grooming even low-level employees to act professionally these days. Maybe it's because brick-and-mortar businesses are seeking a competitive edge?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I am in customer service. I have been a dept manager at Wally World for eight years. I strive to provide exemplary service and have been told that I succeed beyond every one else. Please, thank you, have a great day, and how can I help you are uttered hundreds of times daily. Walmart's 10 foot rule is my mantra. How can I make you more pleased with your shopping experience?

At the same time, when I am a consumer, I demand good customer service. I do not demand great or exemplary service, I am happy with good. When I do not get 'good' service, I take it up a notch and ask to speak with the next level of management. If that person cannot resolve the issue to my satisfaction, I demand their supervisor. Then when this person arrives and asks if he/she can help me, I say 'No, I don't think that you can. I need YOUR supervisor'.

At this point, every one but me is sweating bullets and this supervisor does not want to have me go over his/her head without knowing what the problem is and will bend over backwards to make me go away.

Rule # 1. The customer is always right.
Rule #2. When the customer is wrong, find a way to make him/her right.
Rule #3 The customer isn't an interruption of your job. He/she is the reason that you HAVE a job
Rule #4. Please, Thank you, I'm Sorry and Have a great day go a long way to making customers happy.

Peace,
Curtis

·
Premium Member
6,011 Posts
A number of years ago I was in a Penneys store on my lunch hour. I quickly found what I was looking for and queued at the checkout with maybe 5 other customers. There was NO ONE at the register and after waiting as long as I could I laid down my item and went back to work. At least a couple of others did the same. One individual left to search the store hoping to find a clerk. I went to Sears after work and made my purchase.

What I miss most are clerks who actually waited on you. It used to be you could select several garments with the clerk's assistance then go try them on. The clerk would come and ask if you needed assistance and, if you needed a different size, would fetch it for you. You didn't have to get dressed, go back onto the floor to fetch it yourself and then return and undress again to try it on like you do now. I realize the bottom line is why stores no longer provide service, but as a customer I have to say I miss it.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I was in line at a store once. I always check to be sure the line is opened B4 I get in it, and this line was. The cashier finished w/the person in front of me, then completely ignoring me turned to someone else and asks, can I take my break now. The person they asked could not see me from where they were and told them to go ahead. Needless to say, I was NOT happy. And I let them know about it.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
There was NO ONE at the register
Ooh, now THAT is a pet peeve of mine! It seems the dollar stores are the worst for this. I know that their margins are slim, so they expect their cashiers to stock, too, and often there's only one employee in the whole store. It's still annoying.

The one here in town has a bell on the counter that customers can ring to get the cashier's attention. It seems they're usually back in the storeroom, though, and you have to wait for them to make their way to the front. The last time I stopped at a Family Dollar, the cashier was in front of the building, having a smoke while keeping an eye out for customers through the glass. It didn't look very professional, but I guess she was quicker getting to the register than she would have been had she been smoking by the back door!

On at least one occasion, I've left merchandise on the counter when no one showed up to ring me up within a reasonable time frame. Sorry, there are other stores in town if you don't want my business! :grump:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts