Clemson South Carolina?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mammabooh, May 30, 2006.

1. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Is anyone here familiar with the area? There is a possibility that hubby could be transferred there and I'd like to ask a few questions. Thanks.

2. Kickapoo

Kickapoo Member

If you move there, be sure to paint everything you own scarlet and black.

3. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Now that's mean!!!

I've had a few meetings at Clemson University, and the area around the school is certainly attractive. Prices were escalating the last time I spoke with my friends there, but farms were still abundant (at least they seemed so to me).

Oh, scarlett and black are the school colors for the University of South Carolina. Clemson's predominant color is orange.

Good luck!

4. doodles

doodles Well-Known Member

My son just graduated there this May. He was from North Ga. and loved Clemson. It has that small town feel but has lots of things to do.

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Do a www.switchboard.com search for the Clemson Chamber of Commerce. Write and ask them for an information package on the area. Also ask for one of those real estate listing booklets most places seem to have.

6. mammabooh

Hubby would be working on the campus of Clemson University. We're just wondering how long it would take to drive from there to a livable house with at least 5 acres (preferably more) for less than $200,000 (preferably a lot less!). I found a few on realtor.com in Seneca and Westminster. According to mapquest, it would take about 35 minutes to get to Westminster. Anyone know if that's true? If it's going to take him forever to get out of the city, we won't be at all interested in moving there. He has a 6-minute commute right now!

7. Ramblin Wreck

I don't think the commute at Clemson would be that bad, but probably more than 6 minutes. A few minutes out of town/off campus and you're in the country. It is a very rural setting. I just did a quick search and this one popped up. It has 2,200+ square feet, sits on 21 acres and looks like it has pastures and some fencing in place. I'm not sure how far this is from campus. Again, good luck...but be forewarned, you would have to "endure" a lot more sunshine in South Carolina in the Winter time.

http://www.carolina-realestate.com/find.php

8. mammabooh

I looked at that site yesterday too. One place I found had a very nice, 2800 sf house (less than 5 years old), long, paved drive, on over 10 acres. It was $185,000. If we could even find a place like that around here, it would be closer to $750,000. Maybe it's next door to a landfill?

The sun is one thing that I'd be concerned about. Anything over 72 and I'm feeling wilty and crabby. Hubby loves heat, though! Wintertime sun would be good for him...he gets mighty depressed during the dark winter. I, on the other hand, feel energized and like to bake and cook up a storm.

9. Ramblin Wreck

Well that "jest ain't rite". There's a dark side to you Mammabooh!

I understand the heat concerns, but even though I love weather on the cooler side, I take some time to acclimate in the Spring and by Summer I can work outside all day. You have to stay hydrated!! Best wishes to you and your family.

10. mammabooh

I'm toad-girl...I like it dark, cool, and moist.

11. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

We are in a drouth situation now and I believe the Clemson area of SC is as well.

Get ready for some africa type heat like youve never experienced. To my way of thinking summer in the south is not to be enjoyed but survived.

Winters are great down here but only last about 6 months.

12. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

Mamabooh: You'll have to re-learn how to talk. The first word is Y'ALL. After about a couple of years, it'll be second nature to you. Then you'll find yourself saying things like: I think that I might-could do that. (I never thought I'd EVER say that, but it just popped out one day....) By the way, I'm a transplanted Yankee from upstate NY, and happily reside in Cheraw, SC. Also, you must remember, if the word has one syllable now, it will have 2 or more syllables when you move to S. Carolina. But the people here are very friendly! You're going to love it!
    - Kathy

13. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

You could paint it sky blue but someone would probably shoot you. Raftercat, we be neighbors-live just across the line near Marshville. One of my favorite buds lives south of Chesterfield. I do lots of work "down south" and get to Cheraw quite often. E me sometime as some of us are planning a fall meet to sharpen some of the finer points of self sufficency. We try to meet twice a year for a long weekend. If any of you other homesteaders in striking distance want to come-the door opens from the outside also(old saying that means there is no lock on the door).

14. hassette

hassette Well-Known Member

You also have to say "unthaw" instead of "thaw" and "good to go" instead of "all set".

We lived in Columbia for a while. You'll like winter, as I recall it was pretty much cool and damp from November to February. Spring is beautiful there!

15. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

I sent you a couple of PM's. Check at the top of your page.
    Esteban

16. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Clemson is also the States Agricultural and Veterinary college--
    I attended the College of Charleston for acouple years--

Directions to Clemson: Go North until you smell it, then go West until you step in it.

There is a LOT of inexpensive living area around South Carolina, as long as you stay away from the historic cities!!!( Also, stay away from Military bases-- they get expensive, as well) I spent most of my time In SC in Charleston, where the family had ties-- after I got married, and would take the kids to see their great grandpatrents-- I found Greenwood ( where Greenwoood Nursery is/was HQ'd) to be a fairly comfy town-- and even that far inland-- it got some decent breezes!!!

Oh-- There is a small booklet for sale in many places in Charleston-- A Dictionary of Charlestonese written by "Ashley Cooper" ( pen name for a newpaper writer) Beckon = Bacon type stuff!!!

Y'all come back now, he-yeah?

17. sewsilly

sewsilly Well-Known Member

Clemson IS rural! And compared to other areas, we're a 'low-cost' place. (Geez, why am I telling this>>>!??~??~?) LOL

I pm'd you, but I'm in Spartanburg Co, a little more than an hour away from Clemson.
    I'll be happy to help you if I can.

Yes, we're not in the summer, June is right warm, but July and August and part of September is hotter than the hinges of H#LL. We stay in in the middle of the day and enjoy evenings and mornings out of doors.

Clemson isn't crazy getting in and out, except on football days (the day before, the day after). When football season is over, it goes back to being a sleepy little sweet place. There is plenty of rural all around, and in an hour you can get to a couple or three large cities with anything you could possibly need.

Most of South Carolina is relatively warm and welcoming, if you want it to be. There are a few places where they really don't lay out the welcome mat for 'visitors' should you decide to stay, but for the most part, southern hospitality abounds. I've lived here all my life and have friends who 'have always been here' as well as 'imports'.

You can email me if you'd like more info.
    Hope I can help.
    dawn

18. sewsilly

sewsilly Well-Known Member

oh, and it's 10 to 12 degrees cooler in Clemson, than midstate, and 10 to 15 degrees cooler than the beach year round.

19. mammabooh

Thanks All...Hubby has decided not to move for a while. I guess he likes Ohio!