Clematis

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Little Quacker in OR, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Hi! I'd like to know how you do with Clematis? I love them but I think I am planting them too shallow. What are your experiences with these great vines?

I like them to grow on my Rhodies and other spring bloomers.

Thanks...LQ

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

My dad planted clematis at his house some 20 years ago, and they're still going strong. :) He attached a trellis to a roof overhang in an area which receives morning sun and shade from about noon til 6 pm --- in other words, it misses the worst of the afternoon heat in the summer.

They have never been fertilized and are surrounded by flagstones and ivy, yet grow like crazy and even withstand horrible wind from our frequent thunderstorms. They appear to be planted relatively deep (or at least they're deep at this point).

I'm not sure how hot it gets where you are, but it gets VERY hot here (100s) and is very humid. Other places I've seen here with nice stands of clematis are always in the shade. If your temps are cooler, it might be able to withstand more sun ---

Hope this helps, at least a bit. I have some clematis seeds I've been meaning to start, but I haven't yet figured out where I'll put them, so I'm looking forward to answers from everyone else! :)

3. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

I only have one clematis and it's at the mailbox. Planted it back in 85. It has an old trellis of a thing that it climbs. The only thing I have to do is tie it back when it starts new shootings in the spring, and just do this so the mailman don't cuss me. It grows next to the blacktop road on the edge of a ditch and the roots are now under the blacktop somewhere. I've wanted to plant more, but husband says no, cause it does get pretty aggressive in its climbing and would get in the way of taking care of any buildings it was next to.

4. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

feet in the shade, head in the sun..........plant in a spot where the base of the plant is in the shade..........ours blooms in spring......heard you can propagate fairly easy..

5. How do you propagate Clematis???

6. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:)

I have them all over the place....just love the things! I like taking cuttings ala this site and others:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/propagation_takeclematiscuttings.shtml

And I am told(but haven't tried it yet)that another good way is to bury a healthy branch and let it root at each root bifurcation. THis sounds like a neat way to get several plants and I'm going to try it.

I still don't know if I'm planting them too shallow though.

LQ