Clearing out herd - Older Does?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TexasMom, Oct 17, 2004.

1. TexasMom

TexasMom Member

I have a small herd of goats, 2 Nubians 2 boer cross does. and a boer cross wether. I haven't had a buck in about a year so both of the nubians are dry. These aren't high quality milk goats. Anyway, I'm looking to get rid of the goats and wondering what to do. These have been kind of like pets for the past couple of years, so I don't want to sell them at the livestock barn, if that makes any sense. The older Nubian is around 8 years old. The others are probably around 3 or 4 years. Would the meat from these be edible? I'm thinking they've had a pleasant life and the most humane way to end it would be a shot to the head here at home. Any thoughts?

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

I know a few people that put their older does in the freezer... so it can't be that bad!

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Your older does can't be much tougher than some of the venison I've had. An over-night marinate in some V-8 juice and soy sauce made those venison roasts down right yummy.

4. PamaRona

PamaRona New Member

Pig Paste

½ Cup Granulated Garlic
    1 TBSP Rosemary
    ¼ cup Parsley
    1 TBSP Thyme
    1 TBSP Sage
    2/3 Cup Olive Oil
    1/8 Cup Salt
    1/8 Cup Paprika
    1/8 Cup Sugar
    1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
    1 Tablespoon Hot Pepper Flakes
    1 Teaspoon Mace

Rub Inside And Outside Of Any Meat
    Roast @ 200 Degrees
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

In my herd, I rarely sell an older doe. IF someone I respected wanted one of my older girls than I would set a really good price, or even a giveaway price, with the knowledge that the doe is going to die on their place, not be resold. Older does do not make the transition to new places as well as older stock, so I would rather put my old girls in the freezer, they make wonderful sausage. Talking to another goat person yesterday, I realized I have only put two does into the ground in 18 years, I couldn't bear to eat them, the rest have gone in the freezer as they have been put down in old age, including bucks (just not my freezer :)

There are so many folks who would really like to add a milker to their homestead...advertise these on other parts of the board! Sell them right now so they can be bred and be in milk in the spring.

Good luck! Vicki

6. miclew

miclew Well-Known Member

There are tons of people out there that would love to give your girls a happy home. You can also rent them out as brush clearers. I have a couple of older girls and I love them to death. I couldn't get rid of them.

michele