Clearing dilemma

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sancraft, Oct 4, 2005.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I thought I posted this earlier, but maybe it was a brain fart. So here goes. They are supposed to start clearing this wekk finally. My ex DH has gone up with me on the last 3-4 weekends to help ready the cabin for the girls and me. I want to clear about 8-10 acres in the center of the property, leaving trees on the front and all sides for privacy. Ex DH says I should clear the front to the street for safety. What do you think? I'm not too far off the road, maybe 100 ft. (wanted further back, but the price to run the electric that far and the added foundation cost; back falls gently to the creek and ground gets soft, made it cost prohibitive). I don't want to look at the street and I don't want people to be able to see us as they drive down the road. We haven't had another incident since the campsite robbery since the cabin has been there.

2. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

much as i like my privacy, i'd leave those trees up. a couple of large, loud dogs and a shotgun.....some geese, guineas, and other loud creatures-plenty of warning about strangers. just be prepared to replace the ones gotten by predators......a good pyr will stay up and guard all nite, whatever he is raised with....

3. BlueRidge

BlueRidge Well-Known Member

100 feet off the road? Those trees would have to be pretty thick to give TOTAL privacy. Will you clear out SOME space for a front lawn, or at least some room at the front of the house? If you only clear 30 feet, that leaves only 70 feet of trees.

I'd vote for the privacy, myself.

4. heather

heather Well-Known Member

I would leave the trees -
    We did the same thing you are doing - cleared in the middle of the trees for our home. I like my privacy. I really don't think clearing the trees out front will add to your safety enough to make it worth taking them down -
    Hopefully, you'll never need to worry about it anyway!
    I'm soooo happy for you & your new place! ENJOY

5. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

The cabin is set to face inward, so the back is toward the road. I think I will leave the trees. I have a great GSD who isn't afraid to bark and back it up with a bite. I will put a gate across the driveway, a driveway alarm and a sensor light. I don't feel that we will be at risk. I will clear around the back of the house a little for a small lawn and not have trees for someone to hide in right at the house. Thanks for your comments. I vote keeping the trees. :dance:

6. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

there's also all sorts of ways to booby trap that gate..........and let thorny stuff grow up at the fence row :clap: nothing like a thorn in the butt....anyway..... i'd still get some noisy birds..... and at least 1 more dog.....

7. diamondtim

diamondtim Well-Known Member

Are any of the trees worth anything? What species are where on the property?

Contact with a forester could help you with your decision. Some species are worth their weight in gold. While others are merely firepit fodder. This may help you decide which trees go and which trees stay. Also could help pay for the building.

My buddy, who owns 200 acres in the UP of MI, nets $125 for every mature Red Pine he sells to a log home builder, that's $5,000.00 for each set of 40 logs. He doesn't cut them or haul them (a logger does that for the balance of the selling price). :sing:

Think in terms of money also, not just looks.

Share the Love,

Diamondtim

8. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

It matters whether you already have a road up to your homesite; if not, what sort of vehicle you'll use (and where) to move the logs around. Driving anything large up to the homesite can kill any trees the roots of which get driven over (compaction).

If you don't have a cleared driveway already, I would pick a line of handy trees that are either 1) ugly or 2) worth the most and clear just that line of trees. Instant driveway plus either cash money or beautification - leave the rest where they are.

9. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Ex DH who stole from you? I wouldn't let him see what I had: he might see something that he likes! :flame:

That being said, The two big trees in my front yard are WONDERFULL in the summer! It is even hotter where you live: you might leave yourself a bit of shade!

For securitys sake, it could go either way.

If you leave a screen of trees, folks cannot see if you are in the yard or not. And, you DO have a dog who might ALSO be in the yard!

On the OTHER side, if somebody goes to your house they can be seen from the road if there are no trees.

I think that the security is equal either way, so I would suit myself!

Tell me, do you think you will be moving in when it cools off? I know that it is terribly hot right now.

10. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Sancraft , clear off your front fence line even if you're not quite ready to build your fence . Next , I'd put a curve in my road so that "they" can't look straight down your road and see If you're home . Doesn't have to be fancy just a slight curve . Also , you need to Inset your entry to your land to allow for trailers , cement trucks , etc . can pull in without being stuck out on the road . fordy... :goodjob:

11. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Sandra, Just keep in mind that it takes minutes to take a tree down, but years to replace it.
    Any trees that aren't smack-dab square in the road should be left there until you've had at least a year to mull it over, and make a wiser decision whether or not they need to go.
    Sneak theives will try not to come around when you are home. A loud mouthed dog makes "sneaking" very difficult.
    Unk

12. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

I vote for leaving the trees, at least for now. Give it time to get a feel for the place. You may find it perfect year round or you may find out that something bothers you or that you find something you want to put there instead like fruit trees or whatever. YOUR place, your decisions. :happy:

13. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Leave the trees is my vote.

We left a 200' wide band of trees for 1/2 mile on the road side and one other side, and 1/4 of the other two sides. And have a 700' long driveway which goes straight in from the road for 350', and then turns ninety-degrees and goes the last 350' to our cabin.

We did all that for privacy and we are on 160 acres. We have double 16' steel gates and chain them shut each night and keep them shut most of the time.

Alex

14. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

I would advice leaving the trees for now. You can always change your mind. Remember, a sneak thief is not necessarily going to come from the driveway/street side of the house. We have found "strangers" on our property and they always come through the woods. And we scared them off with help of a dog and a shotgun.

Removing all the trees in the front will just give everyone a clear view of the house and what is going on - who is home, what they are doing, etc. We actually kept our trees, which were all tall and started a row of various evergreen trees too, to cover the area where the bare trunks were. It was also nice that we were using the north, northeast sides of the hosue for this for now we have a good winter wind break.

We got them from the conservation society and they were tiny but only a couple of dollars for 6. Some are finally taller than my DH so we are making great progress.

15. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Leave those trees for sure. Just clear a bit around the house on the street side for air and ventilation and definitely make a curved drive in.

16. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

IMHO, you'll be highly disappointed locating your house a mere 100 feet from the highway......when you have so much land.
    Yes, it will cost more to run electrical service and other costs may be higher......but it will be WELL worth it.

Not sure why you wish to clear the acreage in the middle of the property.

17. texican

texican Well-Known Member

hey sancraft

two schools of thought on clearing...

...one is clear it so people can check up on you and see you're alright

...second one is so people can check up on you and see if you're home...so they can 'borrow stuff...

I'd leave a wide screen on my road side, and if you're needing cleared land, do it elsewhere, if ya got the room... I wouldn't want everyone seeing what I've got, and knowing whether I was home or not...

SAFETY is relative... some people feel the 'night lights' make them more secure...to me, it's the opposite...if there's a bad person wanting to steal, excuse me, "borrow" something...he/she can see what I've got a lot easier...they can see if I've got a dog loose... And the light sure helps em sneak around and pick something up...without them having to turn on their lights to find something...

hope you get your water situation straightened out...

18. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

your ex does have a point ,but with planting some thorny bushes and the keeping of a billy so will you!! if you like the trees there leave 'em!! really don't think losing them is going to gain any protection from idiots and theives . geese or muckskovys do a great job of warning you of intruders and clean up bugs as well .

19. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

SAFETY is relative... some people feel the 'night lights' make them more secure...to me, it's the opposite...if there's a bad person wanting to steal, excuse me, "borrow" something...he/she can see what I've got a lot easier...they can see if I've got a dog loose... And the light sure helps em sneak around and pick something up...without them having to turn on their lights to find something...

A-dadgum-men. I often thought if "I" was a crook, I'd sure appreciate those big bright yard lights so I could see my way around. You come to my house after dark, and it's DARK unless there's a moon out. Crooks will be easy to hear when they trip over a stump or step in a hole......and I don't mind "shooting to the sound".....ahahahaaa