Clearing Barn Site and more

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oldmanriver, Jan 7, 2005.

1. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

A few months back I posted that I was thinking of tearing an old house down for lumber for a barn. Well it is down saved lots of lumber and now ready to start building. I want to build on the site where the old barn was but it is going to have to be cleared of the old barn first. No lumer can be saved as it has been on the ground for several years. My question is if I burn it in place will I still be able to use the tons of old manure that is there or will the high heat destroy it.

REflections on the past year..............
    An old man told me that if you do a little ever day you gain a lot in a life time.
    Last year I completed remodeled 3 roons of the old farm house new wiring plumbing replaced saging floors new sheetrok the works. Also Salvaged lumber and completed removed an old 6 room house in town so he was right, Never worked more than 4 hours a day on this and only hired family help for the heavy stuff so if your dreaming and waiting as I did for years start doing something every day and next Jan. 1st you will see your dreams coming closer. Good luck and Happy New Year :yeeha:

2. Bret

Bret Well-Known Member Supporter

Several years ago, I had someone push down and old hay and milking barn so that the township fire department could burn it form me. I was soon amaized at how the old clover seed in the remains sprouted into a beautiful thick carpet. I couldn't believe it. My point is--I think there will be some fertile value if the seeds survived. Good luck. Keep at it. Thanks for the nudge.

3. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Remember...if you burn, you will have nails on/in the ground...Joan

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Hum I'm not sure.Just thought id note that when you burn something that gets the ground hot enough it does something to the soil on a molecular level.I burned old lumber in my garden area a couple of years ago.And that spot is still soft when you run the tiller over it.(The tiller just sinks when it hits it,no dirt clods)It doesn't pack back for some reason.For that reason id use cation about burning where you might be going to lay the new foundation or dig post holes. ;)
    Make sure you call and tell the local fire department to tell them your going to burn on that date.Or your neighbors might think something has caught fire and call them.They might also come burn it for you.Saving as many near by trees as possible by spraying water on them,to keep them cool.

By the way i cant tell a difference in that spot,when growing veg's.Stuff grows normal.I'm burning again before spring.This time on that hard spot of ground that will never break up. :D

Id also think the manure.Would become ash under that kind of heat.Sence it used to be plant life,and probely hasnt made a complete cycle into dirt yet.

5. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Lighting struck my barn in 1993 and burned it down. I was home and got all the animals out. Before I regraded it I picked up all the nails with a magnet. I had several buckets full.

6. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

The old manure will burn. The ash will still contain the nutrients, but the compost effect will be gone.