Clear Coat Repair? Or Am I Destined to Have a "Peeler?"

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by fin29, Sep 14, 2004.

1. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I just purchased a 1989 Volvo 240DL wagon. It's in exceptional shape, except that the clear coat has bubbled on a small section of the hood. There are probably four 1" long and 1/4" wide bubbles, and you can see the moisture collected underneath them. Since these cars have such a reputation for rust, and this one's perfect other than that, I want to take care of this. I need this car to last 10 years.

Do I need to see a professional--can he patch it or would I need to get the whole hood done? Should I pop the bubbles to release the moisture and nip the problem in the bud? Is there a kit or home remedy I can try first?

Thanks, guys.

2. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I've seen several volvo's about that age with clear coat problems. They must have had a process or product problem. Seems mostly on the hoods. I think if you patch the spots, it will be a bandaid, not a fix. The separation will continue. I suggest you use or get an orbital palm sander, fine paper and spend a couple hours taking off the top coat from whole hood. Then use an aerosol clear coat. It may not be as good as a professional or a paint booth job, but it will last longer than spot repair.

3. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Im afraid that would call for the hole hood being re done(atleast to make it last and look perfect).But if the paint is still good a professional can just lightly sand the clear coat smooth,buff,and reapply the clear coat.Shouldn't cost to much.

That aerosol clear coat will not stay on there.Trust me. ;)

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I couldn't picture myself doing that at all--I could just picture the streak job I would be left with. I'm spray can impaired. :rolleyes: