Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Really don't want to use bleach to clean/disinfect my cages. I'm allergic to it, I don't want chemicals in my house, I don't want the rabbits exposed to it and I'm trying to be more natural with my life choices.

Anyone know a natural way or recipe to clean & disinfect cages?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Lemon cleaner
1 cup H2O2
2 cup H2O
12 drops tea tree essential oil
20 drops lemon essential oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
OR
accumulate a freezer bag full of orange peels, put peels in jars, cover with vinegar, put in dark place for 2 weeks, gently shaking occasionally. At the end of the 2 weeks drain juice, making sure to squeeze oranges to get the juice/oil out. Strain 2 times. You can use straight on really bad jobs but I just mix 1 cup orange mix with 2 cups vinegar
OR
use a pressure washer

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Use a plastic bristle brush to scrub clean with soapy water (I use a garden sprayer). I soaked the cages and then went back through and scrubbed the wire with a PLASTIC bristle brush. Plastic doesn't scuff up the galvanizing like a wire bristle brush does. I also used a veterinary disinfectant as well, but water/soap would be enough most likely. Then just rinse a bit with another garden sprayer of water.

Or, if there wasn't alot of muck on the cage wire, I would lightly torch with a big propane torch. works great.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Vinegar strips off the galvanizing. It will rust the metal quicker. You want something more alkaline not acidic. Rabbit pee is also alkaline though so something closer to neutral will dissolve it better without damaging the metal. If you haven't had an illness soap and water should be fine. We use scentless dawn dish soap for practically everything. We also have a coconut based cleaner but the internet will give you all sorts of arguments on the effectiveness and level of safety of such cleaners.

·
Registered
119 Posts
When i planned my set up out ( not orignially unfotunatley) i planned for extra cages and when its cleaning time i swap cages and clean with soapy water and sit in the sun for a week and go to the the next set so far it works well.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I use a small portable power sprayer. Picked one up for $10 at a yard sale and it has power like a car wash. Best investment I've made in a long time!

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
When we had the angoras we used a blow torch. Worked awesome, everything got heat sterilized. We had wood boxes in the cages and when some of our bunnies got mites we were able to torch the insides of the boxes without catching them on fire. Killed the mites.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts