Cleaning wheat?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tracy Rimmer, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

My very nice Hudderite farmer friend who raises my Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys for me got me a 50 lb sack of hard red winter wheat when he heard I ground my own grain for breadmaking. The catch is that, as I was thanking him profusely, he nodded rather sternly (he's a rather stern man who I believe is marshmallow in the middle :) ) and said "It'll have to be cleaned, though."

Uh... okay. I normally buy my wheat from a large organic outfit, comes in heavy paper sacks, and I pour it directly into my mill. No cleaning involved.

My question is, what do I do to clean it?

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Sounds like you might need to clean the chaff from the wheat.
    The easy way to do it is to spread out a tarp or blanket, pick a windy day and slowly pour scoopfuls of wheat onto the tarp.
    If you do it slow enough the wind will blow the chaff away before it hits the ground.
    If you don't get all of the chaff, repeat or throw the wheat into the air and watch the chaff fly. :)
    We used to love doing this when I was a kid. (ok ...maybe I had a boring life!!)

3. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

Chaff is part of what's in your wheat. Also expect some weed seeds. A grain cleaner, also commonly known as a Fanning Mill, has a variable fan for blowing out the chaff and several screens for sorting out the weed seeds that are larger than wheat and those that are smaller. Generally seed saved for planting would be cleaned to prevent planting more weeds. Most feed mills can clean grains for you, but I doubt they'd want to monkey around with a single bag. Try pouring it across a window screen, the small bits of dirt or small weed seeds should drop thru but not the wheat.

4. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Thanks, everyone... lots of wind here... I'll be spending some time outside tomorrow with one of the screens off my back porch, I think!

Tracy

5. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

I use a real fan. Take it outside and then slowly pour the grain from one bucket to another and let the fan blow away the chaff. Have to make sure I'm not blowing the stuff too hard, or I end up with berries all over the ground too.

Been getting wheat (both winter and spring) right out of the combine from the nieghbors. First year I tried harvesting myself off the ends that the combine skipped. Decided that was way too much work when the nieghbors had no problem giving me some.

Cathy

6. Marilyn

Marilyn Well-Known Member Supporter

I am just green with envy.