Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

What's the best way to clean up yard clippings? I mow with a 4 ft finishing mower pulled behind my tractor. The mower cuts well but it leaves a mess. Do landscape rakes work well for this? They don't look to me like they would. At Sears I saw something called a lawn sweeper. Anybody tried one of these? http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...EARS&pid=07124212000&sid=I0008300030000100085

Or perhaps I need a mulching finishing mower. Anybody make one of these?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Torch said:
Greetings all,

What's the best way to clean up yard clippings? I mow with a 4 ft finishing mower pulled behind my tractor. The mower cuts well but it leaves a mess. Do landscape rakes work well for this? They don't look to me like they would. At Sears I saw something called a lawn sweeper. Anybody tried one of these? http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...EARS&pid=07124212000&sid=I0008300030000100085

Or perhaps I need a mulching finishing mower. Anybody make one of these?

Thanks in advance,

Michael
There's a guy here in town that uses that on a huge lawn in front of his motel. I see him using it every week, so it must work somewhat well. We have the same problem, but we rake by hand so we can use the clippings in the composter. I either need to get a bagger or one of these things.

·
Registered
61 Posts
To me a lawn sweeper is the best thing since sliced bread. I got a 48 inch sweeper from Lowes an it works great. It pick sup clippings really well and leaves. I use it to pick up pine straw, you just have to empty more often. To me its a lot less trouble than a bagger and works just as good.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
try a set of mulcher blades on your mower.....I think you will be happy with the results and there is no additional work

·
keep it simple and honest
3,809 Posts
Maybe if you mowed more often, you wouldn't be cutting off so
much grass, and it wouldn't be as noticeable.
Ann

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
I get great results from my sweeper. I built a arm hitch to drag my sweeper "sidecar style" so that it sweeps at the same time that I cut.

U

·
0 Posts
agmantoo said:
try a set of mulcher blades on your mower.....I think you will be happy with the results and there is no additional work
Can you just change the blades? Maybe I'll try this first.

anniew, I mow about every 10 days. Besides, my dw notices all. :)

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Torch,
Go here, scrool down a bit, and you will see a large variety of blades http://www.agri-supply.com/pdfs/ASC238C36-46.pdf
then go to their home page and order a catalog. Within the catalog you will find a chart on how to measure your blades in order to get the correct mulcher blades. I have been most pleased with the improvement in the lawn's appearance since switching. I cannot tell that the mower has to work any harder but the windrows are gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts