Cleaning up a small Spring

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shawnadare, Aug 25, 2006.

1. shawnadare

shawnadare Member

First post for me! We moved to Northeast Ar a few months ago. We have 14 acres on Crooked Creek. I met one of our neighbors who told me we have a small spring on one of the hills. Sure enough. we found a rock with a pool of water under it. There are several flat rocks which are for a basin ( i assume.) the whole hillside is muddy almost soupy. No water seen. A small pipe comes out of the rock. This is a small spring. Apparently it ran enough to keep a large watering trough filled. How do we restore it? Just clean the muck out from the several basins? Any help appreciated. How cool! Of course it's to far from the garden but you can't have everything.

2. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

I'd like to see replies on this too.

BTW, welcome Shawnadare!

3. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

There are several methods, you can use mortar and rocks to build up a clean rock wall around the water source with a built in pipe coming out that you can feed water to where you need it...or dig a round hole around it and set a concrete culvert ( open ends up and down ) on top of the water source to make a contained area to feed water from ( I have one like this on our property ).

Or just clean it out good and make use of it, sounds like it has a pipe driven in already...

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Go to a building supply and they should have the 4 " corrugated "Sewer" pipe in 10 or 20 ft lengths that is used in septic systems. Ask if they have one that has an outer fabric coating often referred to as a sock on the pipe. This sock makes a terrific filter for the spring. Clean the area of the spring and make a small trench, slopping slightly toward downhill, in the water area and install the fabic covered perferated pipe. In the lower end of the socked pipe insert your line that will feed to the trough or storage area you plan on having.

5. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

6. Nature_Lover

Nature_Lover Well-Known Member

Here's a good thread about spring water collecting,
    http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=64621

I guess the most important thing to remember is: Do not disturb the soil above (or surrounding) the current water source, it could close the current water path, and you might lose the water completely to an underground alternate route. (It follows the path with least resistance.)

There was a really good thread about this that was lost in the last site crash.

7. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a spring that has already been developed. There must be some type of basin at the spring end of the pipe. It may be filled slap up with silt. clean than out real good, clean the pipe out good and you should be set. You should be able to find black polly-pipe that will slip over the end of the existing pipe. Then you can pipe it where ever you want.
    We have a gravity fed spring sytem and LOVE it.

8. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a similiar setup on our land. We haven't really had a chance to go home and look it over, but we would like to clean ours up as well and utilize it if possible. I have a picture of how it looks on our website, is this similiar to what you found on your land?

CJ
    Have you "Tinkled" today?