Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 dodge Dakota quad cab 4x4. 4.7 liter motor. throttle body has lots of carbon build up.

Is it best to take off the throttle body to clean it or is it OK to just remove intake hose and spray throttle body cleaner in it and brush the areas inside that are reachable?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Buy a can of CRC intake cleaner. Just spray the inside of the TB., I did it with the car off, It was a little hard to restart. maybe, spray with the car running, or do a restart 1/2 way through. our car starts and idles perfect now.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
take the throttle body off, and clean it with a good carb cleaner. do not submerse it just spray and wipe. the soak a rag and wipe as much as you can out of the intake. check the rubber seal before reassembly if its compressed or out of shape replace it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I use seafoam but pick your brand as long as it is INTAKE cleaner which won't damage sensors and spray out the throttle plates then open them and clean out underneath. Let it sit for a minute then start it up. It will smoke a little but nothing to worry about. Use

1 - 6 of 6 Posts