Cleaning self-cleaning oven

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Organizing' started by Belfrybat, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member

I've had a silicon oven liner in for about year but the sides of the oven are a little spotted so I decided this cold morning would be a good time to use the self-clean feature. When I took up the oven liner, there is a large black area under it (around 12 x 14"). I don't use the oven a lot, so I didn't realise there would be a build up under the oven liner. I can scrape up parts, but the rest is stuck solid. I'm concerned about using the self-clean feature with this build up in the oven.

I don't think I can use standard oven cleaner as that is not supposed to be used on self-clean surfaces. I tried Totally Awesome cleaner full strength and a plastic scrubby but that took up very little. So what do I use to get the majority of this gunk up? It is not thick. The bit I've been able to scrape up is thinner than paper. But it is stuck fast.

MoBookworm1957 and COSunflower like this.
  2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Try soaking it in Coca Cola.
    The Phosphoric acid should help dissolve the buildup.

MoBookworm1957 and COSunflower like this.

3. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

I have a self cleaning oven also. Go ahead and run the self cleaning feature and what doesn't come up with it should be easy to remove with a paste of soda and water. The spot may look gray after the self cleaning but will come up easily with the soda.

Marcia in MT and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  4. oldasrocks

oldasrocks Well-Known Member

Just don't buy a Kitchen Aid stove. The self cleaning feature just bakes stuff on harder. Luckily we have a good dealer that replaced the bottom panel for free. Now we have to put a cookie sheet under whatever we cook so it doesn't get the bottom dirty.