Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have interior plexiglass "storm windows." They were very popular in the 1970's.. plexiglass sheets cut to the size of your window, then fitted with magnetic edging which mates to magnetic strips perminantly mounted on the window casings. If you're thinking "wow, what a great idea" don't go rushing out to find them... I don't think they're made any more, and using the window sealing plastic sheeting kits will make a better seal and be more see-through than these are. At best you could call these "convenient."

But I can't get them clean. They're "cloudy." The windex seems to move the cloud around, but it doesn't take it off. Winter is gray enough without adding gray to the windows!

Does anyone know what you're supposed to use to clean plexiglass?

Thanks... T

·
Registered
561 Posts
You may be able to get a polish that will bring back the clarity of the glass. I know they used to make some for the windsheilds of cars. Try the net.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mornin' , well I had a simular problem , I have a gift shoppe with very large picture windows that have tint on them. When we tried to clean them it became a night mare. the more windex we used the worst they became. Then someone suggested that we use pledge furniture polish the windows look awesome, go figure, furniture polish on glass. it worked for me Good Luck T

·
Registered
655 Posts
Most all rigid, translucent sign faces are made of plexiglass. We use methanol to clean them.

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Furniture stuff.. who'd a thunk?

Thanks everyone, I'll give it a shot!

T

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Here's a direct line to the product linked from the "clean anything" site.

My 22 year old Jeep CJ has plastic windows in the soft top, and I am delighted with Novus for cleaning them AND buffing out some fairly deep scratches. I just remembered that the lens covers on my sedan are plexi and scratched up -- time to get the Novus stuff out!

http://www.noscratch.com/novus/index.shtml

Pony!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Watch what you put on plexiglass. The big drawback it has it that it becomes etched and looks cloudy....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts