cleaning nest box

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ddunk1026, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Ddunk1026

Ddunk1026 Active Member

I was told to clean the nest box completely out and add new bedding every 3-4 days. Is that correct? Does the time interval of cleaning change for the age of the kits? Thanks for any advice.

2. BeatrixP

BeatrixP Active Member

I'm no pro and fairly new to this, but here is what works for me. Clean for the first time when they are about 3 - 4 days old. Then clean every other day until they are 2 weeks old, then every day until they are out of the box at about 3 weeks. Clean more or less depending on how wet and smelly the bedding is. I never replace all of the bedding, only what is wet with urine.

3. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy...changing the bedding really depends on the condition it is in.....I raise bunnies and have done so for years...I change the box out at about 2 weeks after the kindling unless it is wet...unless it somehow gets wet I will not change it as ya lose alot of the hair now if a good amount of blood from the birth is left in the box that I will remove...after the 2 week change then i change it as needed...I have does that are use to being handled and the kits being handled right after birth some does will kill the kits if you touch them to soon...I dont have this problem...the changing really depends on what you think is clean or dirty...no right or wrong...after the kits start to jump out the box no matter what age I will remove the box and place newspaper on the bottom of the hutch[I have raised wire hutches]...the reason for the paper is so that it catches the poo and I can see if anyone has the runs or bloody poo or urine...if I find this I will take the kits and place them in another cage 1 by 1 for a day till i find the sick one[at this time I will use a white towel or cloth on cage bottom] you can see better the amount of blood verses urine as it dries.....I also start to feed my kits at the age of 2 weeks...i take alfalfa pellets mixed with water to make a mash and they love it I will also lower the water bottles at this age....some folks will say 2 weeks is to early to feed but i have been doing this forever and have never had a problem with it and mom loves the help as it lessens the demand on her from the hungry kits...at times you may have to take a wet rag to the kits face to help clean them off from eating but thats no big deal as you want to handle them and get them use to things like that anyway...I also will put my fingers in there ears[rubbing]...play with feet.....check teeth daily....all so that when i pass them on to my contractor they will be calm easy to handle pets.....i can take any bunnie here and clean ears,cut nails,put med dispencer in mouth without a fight cause of training them from birth to allow me to do these things........You do what you feel is best for you as many folks tend the rabbits in many different ways and not all folks agree with one another on how to do it....your object should be to raise healthy happy friendly bunnies and no matter how you do it...if ya get the job done...ya did it right!...good luck dale anne

4. dugan

dugan Well-Known Member

Iclean mine if wet and take it out at 21 days,weather permiting.

5. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

I use pine bedding, and unless the mother is urinating in it, have never had to change bedding before I take the box out (about 3 weeks old). That's one advantage to pine, it is very absorbent, and doesn't get nasty like straw.