Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some stainless steel pans i used over an open fire a few weeks back (stupid of me). Well now there total black along the bottom and on the sides. Is this going to come off? I read I was suppose to prep them before cooking over a fire, so maybe i'm stuck with the black. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Next time cover the outside of the pan with foil first. Some say soaping it would work, too, but foil is easier. It may take several sessions of baking soda to do the job. If you find an easier method, let me know!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I remember my mom using cream of tartar and boiling water to clean aluminum pans that had burnt stuff on the inside. It might work for you. She just boiled water in the pan and added a handful of cream of tartar to soak until the water cooled and then washed them and polished them with an SOS pad. You might try putting your pan in a larger pan that had the H2O/Cr.of Tartar mix in it and letting it soak.

·
Registered
188 Posts
FrankTheTank said:
I've got some stainless steel pans i used over an open fire a few weeks back (stupid of me). Well now there total black along the bottom and on the sides. Is this going to come off? I read I was suppose to prep them before cooking over a fire, so maybe i'm stuck with the black. Thanks for any suggestions.
They make a scrubby that is for stainless steel.You can buy anywhere.Looks like metal shavings.They also make one for copper.Use some elbow grease and it should shine like a new penny.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll give some of your suggestions a try. The black carbon stuff is really baked on there (i had no aluminum foil @ the time i was cooking over a fire :( ) Thanks for the info. I'll report back my results. later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts