Cleaning my pans...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FrankTheTank, Sep 29, 2004.

1. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

I've got some stainless steel pans i used over an open fire a few weeks back (stupid of me). Well now there total black along the bottom and on the sides. Is this going to come off? I read I was suppose to prep them before cooking over a fire, so maybe i'm stuck with the black. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

Frank
    Try baking soda and some 'elbow grease' Test a place to see if it will scratch. ...klh

3. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Next time cover the outside of the pan with foil first. Some say soaping it would work, too, but foil is easier. It may take several sessions of baking soda to do the job. If you find an easier method, let me know!

4. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

I remember my mom using cream of tartar and boiling water to clean aluminum pans that had burnt stuff on the inside. It might work for you. She just boiled water in the pan and added a handful of cream of tartar to soak until the water cooled and then washed them and polished them with an SOS pad. You might try putting your pan in a larger pan that had the H2O/Cr.of Tartar mix in it and letting it soak.

5. jkillen

jkillen Well-Known Member

I used glass stove top cleaner to clean some stainless stuff not long ago,
    worked pretty well.

6. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

They make a scrubby that is for stainless steel.You can buy anywhere.Looks like metal shavings.They also make one for copper.Use some elbow grease and it should shine like a new penny.

7. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

I'll give some of your suggestions a try. The black carbon stuff is really baked on there (i had no aluminum foil @ the time i was cooking over a fire :( ) Thanks for the info. I'll report back my results. later.