cleaning mirror

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MissChris, Apr 22, 2005.

1. MissChris

MissChris Well-Known Member

Hi, I have a mirror that I cannot get clean. I've used several different types of window cleaner but no matter how many times I clean the mirror it still has streaks. It seems like there is some oily substance that just won't come off. Does anyone have any good mirror cleaning ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

2. mtnmom208

mtnmom208 Well-Known Member

Warm dishwater and sponge. A good grease-cutting detergent like Dawn will cut the oil. Dry with wadded newspaper, rubbing vigorously. Trust me, my two-year old has access to my mirrors and picture window. After my mom turned me on to this, I stopped wasting my money on glass cleaner.

3. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

It would seem to me that if your dirty mirror could reflect the image of a clean mirror that you had hung in front of it, that you should never have to clean it again!

4. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

:haha: :haha: :haha: love it!!!

5. connie in nm

connie in nm Well-Known Member

Two tips:
    1) Try using plain rubbing alcohol to clean the mirror

2) After you clean it with above, if there are still streaks, wipe with a clean dry paper towel or cloth. Often mine is streaky because I just do not wipe it long enough - it has to be completely dry.

My Mom is a pro at this -- her mirrors & glass have always looked much better than mine......

6. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

if above don't work maybe there's some thing nail polish remover (spot test) would take off (mild version of paint remover)

7. Sparkey

Sparkey Well-Known Member

I use a mix of 1/2 cup of ammonia in 1 qt. of distilled water. Next warm day I'll have to clean the 34 outside windows on this old house....sigh.

8. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Baking soda....dampen a rag and use it to pick up plenty of baking soda held in your hand and try that. May leave spots, but those can be cleaned up easily enough. I do this with real dirty lamp chimneys all the time, by the way, and it works wonderfully!

9. baysidebunny

baysidebunny Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's not the cleanser but what you are wiping it with.
    Certain papertowels streak and your regular towels could have residue that might prevent you from getting a crystal clear result.