Cleaning Mini-Blinds

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I need to clean 13 mini blinds today. My thought was take them down, lay them down flat and vacuum with the hand held one first, then dip in a bleach bath and clean. Some of them are pretty dirty because I live on a dirt road and like the kitchen window open when washing dishes. So that one is more muddy than dusty.

anyway, you guys never cease to amaze me at coming up with better ways of doing things. Can anyone think of a better way?

Will bleach water hurt the strings?

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I put them in the bath tub with some good cleaning liquid mixed in the water, then pick it up and hold it on the shower back wall with one hand and use a real soft brush like you use in the kitchen or a wide paint brush to go over them---then turn around and do the other side---then use the shower head on a hose to rince--or you could sit them in a bucket --then take them outside to rince with water hose. Only takes a little while to wash 13 this way. Good Luck!! Randy

Edited to add------I have never used Bleach, but use Greased Lightning mixed in the water every time I clean them, but then again---Mine are White!

3. Dorothea

Dorothea Well-Known Member

bleach will ruin your blinds....i did that and had to replace my blinds

4. Sparticle

Thanks Randy and Dorthea. Good ideas. I didn't know about bleach, but was wondering if it'd be safe. I like the paint brush idea Randy. I saw something in a mag at my mom's house about using a paint brush to dust your house with. I'll just use the paint brush and the shower head!

Oh, what cleaner do you think would be safe? I have windex would that work?

5. silvergirl

silvergirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    We run a professional cleaning service and hate doing mini-blinds - but we have had plenty of requests for them over the years - I suggest vacuuming them first, to remove loose dust, then the tub idea works well with greased lightning but your arm will get very tired holding them up to hose/wipe them off and most shower rods aren't strong enough to hold them up. Instead, take them outside if you can, hang them over a fence gently or put up a couple of temp screws to hang them from and use the garden hose and greased lightning or similar cleanser - if you have a kiddy pool, you can soak them in that... if there is still dirt or grease stuck on them at that point, after spraying/soaking/hosing the only thing left to get them clean is to go over each strip with a damp cloth... which you might want to do anyway, to dry them and avoid water spotting...
    Silvergirl
    (Maggie's Maids - Waynesville/Maggie Valley, NC)

6. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

I have used bleach in the bath tub on mine and it worked fine.
    I guess it depends on what they are made of. mine are plastic.
    I like to use bleach because it gets the strings white too.
    I just soak em in a tub full of water & bleach then brush and spray em down again and they are done. Good Luck

7. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I hung mine on the fence in the sun and hosed them down. Worked fine.
    mary

8. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

I lay ours out in the driveway and scrub (both sides) with some diluted Mr. Clean. Hose them off and hang them over the clothes line to dry.

9. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

Put them in the tub with a good powdered laundry soap, i use tide for the job. laundry detergent is excellent at cutting grease. been using this method for years, passed onto friends who could not believe how well it worked. Use a scrub brush after soaking for 10 or so minutes and they come out spotless and barely any elbow grease.
    corry

10. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I wash ours in the bathtub. I sorta swish them around and rinse them,put them n end and let them dry.

Roger also has power washed them outside in the picnicn table a time or two.

That reminds me that I should really clean all of them before winter...

11. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

I cleaned the blinds over my sink recently. I put them in the tub of hot water and liquid soap, let the soak for a bit and then wiped them down, rinsed them off and rehung them. It was a pain but worth it, as they look brand new now. They are brown, and match the wood cabinets.

12. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

The wife said to wipe them with a Bounce sheet after you clean them.
    Something about static cling. :shrug:

13. margo

margo Well-Known Member

I've cleaned our by filling the kitchen trash can with water and a cleanser such as Mr Clean, and soaking one end then the other, lay over porch rail and spray to rinse and dry.

14. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I've cleaned some by soaking in hot water and ammonia in the bath tub. After they had soaked awhile I used a stiff brush and scrubbed them. Rinsed and threw them over the clothes line and let them blow dry. I may try the laundry detergent, that sounds good to me too.

15. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I have a some drywall screws on the side of the house that I hang them on & hose them down. I rub the dirt off with my hand & then hose them some more until the water runs clean. I leave them hanging there until they are dry.

16. PinkBat

PinkBat Well-Known Member

Hammer two large nails into your shed wall near a water hose.

Hang blind from nails.

Spray blind with "Scrubbing Bubbles." Let this sit a few minutes. The bubbles will do most of the scrubbing for you.

Rub spots that are still dirty with a soft rag.

Hose the blinds down. Let dry. Return to window.

17. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Don't put cloth blinds in the tub, you'll ruin them. I did. :rolleyes:

18. Sparticle

Well I took yesterday off of work to try to get a bunch done on the house, mini-blinds were on the list. Never got to them. I burned till 4:30, then kept working on the outside to make it nice. I looked a big pile of pea gravel I have that's kind of out of place just dumped at the end of a small paved part of the driveway. So, I spread it all out and made a patio. Then made the dogs a temporary dog house. By the time I got done it was 8:30. So tonight I'll start on the blinds.

I don't have a tool shed or garage. Someone gave me a rubber maid SMALL shed recently, but can't screw anythign into that. I think I'm going to mix some of the suggestions up and find a solution for me. I like the soaking outside in a pool idea, that will keep the bathroom clean. I'll borrow the pigs pool.

So, I'll vacuum them in the house, soak them in the pig's pool probably in laundry detergent, then hang them over the trailer and hose them off and hang them on the line (if the line will support them ) to dry. If not, I'll towel them off and bring them back in OR try to hang them from the fence.

I was actually going to hose them off yesterday and hose off a bunch of other stuff I layed all out in the driveway, then the sprayer broke.

I dont' use fabric softener but the fabric sheet idea was good. I just don't want to pay for that though. I need to just use what I have.

The other idea I have is to soak them in the tub, use the shower to hose them off, put them in a bucket to transport them outside for the final cleaning. I'll work on one and see what works out best.

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE!! We;ll see how many I can get done tonight. :hobbyhors

19. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

I get right in the tub and hang the blinds on the inside of the shower curtain (just slip the blind ends into curtain hook rings)rod, so they are up against the curtain? Make sure the curtain is INSIDE the tub. Then just hose them with the shower massage head if you have one. Spray with cleaner, then hose again. Let drip dry. All done!

I should say, I used to do this. Now I have one of those big squarish whirlpool tubs, which I hate with a passion. No shower head, no curtain. We have a separate big shower stall but not long enough to put blinds in.

Second choice: hang them from the clothesline. Just make a few loops with a couple pieces of rope or long twist ties. Slip the blind ends in those. Clean with a pail of soapy water, then hose. Let drip dry. If you have no clothesline, just hang from a tree branch, the kids' swingset, a fence, or whatever is handy.

DD

20. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

load them all in the car and bring them to the quarter car wash do all at one time