Cleaning Milking Equipment

Discussion in 'Goats' started by glenberryfarm, Apr 23, 2005.

1. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Hi, I was wondering what everyone is using to clean their SS milk pails and other equipment. Are their common household alternatives to the alkaline and acid dairy washes?
    Thank you
    Faye

2. kaelinda

kaelinda Member

i have been using white vinegar for the past 8 years-got the idea from an art. by a lg. goat dairy farm. have never had a problem with spoilage or contaminants.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I use the Hoards Dairyman's dilution of 1/4 cup clorox to 1 gallon of bleach for everything on the dairy. Teat dips, lambar cleanup, running though my lines after milking, and to swish my inflations in between does. The answer to this question is totally dependant on where you live and what kind of water you have. Being on a well Clorox works well for me. Every Saturday I do run through some dishwashing deteregent (the kind for machines since it is low suds) and scrub the inside and out of the can with a copper scrubber.

On our dairy list, dairygoatsplus.com most of the gals do you an acid rinse. Another person uses vinegar and soda (which makes sense).

I do replace my inflations and hoses once a year anyway.

So I guess it's all up to what works for you. Vicki

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I run all equipment through the dishwasher once a day, and wash by hand once. Use Clorox in the wash water during the hand wash, and once a week wash with vinegar. I use cider vinegar, as the white vinegar is made from grains and my daughter and I have celiac disease and even a trace of material from grains can cause problems. (I also make sure the cider vinegar is *really* cider vinegar, and not colored white vinegar.) It must work, because our milk is good, and keeps well.

I hand milk, so don't have the milking machine, inflations, and so on to worry about.

Kathleen

5. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Thank you for your responses. I was reading some goat keeping books and they made it sound manditory or you would have the dreaded milkstone.
    Faye