Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate cleaning the floors. It's my least favorite job, bar none. Unfortunately, living out here, with dust from the grid road, and dirt from the feet of two boys and a dog, it seems that my hardwood floors need constant attention.

Any tips on keeping this to a minimum? I *HATE* cleaning floors -- and would scrub out thirty toilets rather than clean one floor!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I do what Melissa does. Now granted I do not have wood floors, I have tile. Like 1800 sq. feet of it now. ACK! It is time consuming but I hate how it feels when it is not clean cause none of us wear socks or shoes in the house.
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
We don't wear outdoor shoes indoors.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,847 Posts
No shoes in the house. :)

No dogs in the house. :rolleyes:

6,637 Posts
Melissa said:
I recently bought one of swiffer-like cleaning tools that has the water in it. I haven't used up the pads that came with it but when I do I plan to just use an old rag. It is very easy to use and is handy for quick clean-ups.
Melissa, do you try to keep all the sand off your floors most of the time? I mean do you sweep daily?

We have oak floors, and only sweep about every 10 days or so.

6,637 Posts
Tracy Rimmer said:
I hate cleaning the floors. It's my least favorite job, bar none. Unfortunately, living out here, with dust from the grid road, and dirt from the feet of two boys and a dog, it seems that my hardwood floors need constant attention.

Any tips on keeping this to a minimum? I *HATE* cleaning floors -- and would scrub out thirty toilets rather than clean one floor!
I guess if it was me, and I wanted to keep my hardwood floors spotless, I probably would keep a mop in a mop bucket full of water with a capfull of bleach, give the floors a quick swipe daily, and dump the water once per week.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Shoes off at the door, my dogs don't have run of the entire property, just one large side yard so they don't get into everything imaginable. I sweep the main rooms every other day usually, with a plastic O Cedar broom which has bristles that are kind of frayed on the bottom, it's the best broom I've ever had because it really catches all the dust and dog hair and I can just wash it when it gets dirty. I vacuum the whole house even though I do not have carpet, about every week to 10 days. Mop with a Swiffer with water bottle with old rags held on by thick rubber bands that came off broccoli bunches. Need a clean rag, just switch it with a clean one. I keep a lot of old rags anyway because I don't buy paper towels and special pads for cleaning the floors.

·
wendys_goats
398 Posts
I have a Floor Mate it works great a bit pricy about $200.00 but worth it.
It has a tank to put clean water in and a tank the dirty water gets sucked into. The floors are almost dry when the water gets sucked up.
Works kinda like a carpet shampooer.
I just got new floors and the guy that installed them said to just use vinegar water so that is what I use in it.

·
Turkey Wrangler
5,193 Posts
wendys_goats said:
It has a tank to put clean water in and a tank the dirty water gets sucked into. The floors are almost dry when the water gets sucked up.
I just got new floors and the guy that installed them said to just use vinegar water so that is what I use in it.
Really, a floor mate huh? That sounds like a great investment. I hate to mop - really don't have a lot of time either, it takes me all morning just to do downstairs....

6,637 Posts
wendys_goats said:
my mother inlaw bought us one of those. It works very very well.

I had forgot about that

·
Registered
640 Posts
I do know that sponge-style mops don't clean well. They get dirty too fast, and you just end up spreading it instead of cleaning the floor.
I have a reusable swiffer-style mop we got from Home Depot. I use that at times for spot cleaning.

I sweep the floor with a broom anytime I need to - sometimes daily. Once a week I vacuum floors and rugs. When I see a need to I mop with a reusable mop and bucket my mom gave me. It has shammy strips that screw to it, and I fill the bucket with really hot water, a squirt of Ivory dish soap and a good splash of vinegar, I mop the whole thing that way, and toss it into the washer when I'm done.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,600 Posts
Floormate here! I love it.

Two dogs, mud, manure and then there is me the worst offender. I am in and out so much that I am always forgetting to take of my shoes.

·
Registered
10,845 Posts
Hardwood floors need a lot of attention.

I found a cheap electric broom, as needed, sometimes daily, worked best to get the sand/dirt/dog hair off the floor without any scratching. I'd still have to go over the floor weekly for dust. I also would wash & dry (immediately) & buff it monthly.

As I write and read what I am writing - I wonder why I want wood floors again.

I also used Old English Polish when I got scratches (dark oak floors).

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
i vacuum up the bigger stuff with the attachemnt on the vac hose. great for getting in all the corners. i bought a mop at lowe's that's kind of like the swiffer, but the pad is terry cloth and can be washed and reused. i use the orange murphys soap for floors and spray each area as i go. it does an amazing job- nice and clean, shiny and smells nice too.

less than 20bucks investment.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
We have a store here called Janitors Supply. You probably have something like it in your area. They sell special mats that act like a magnet collecting dirt, dust, etc. when you walk across them. I used to have one at the from door of the cafe. It made a world of difference in how often we had to sweep and mop in front of the door.

I hate sweeping and mopping too. I am saving to get one of those roomba things. I'll let it run at night while I'm sleeping so I can wake up to nice clean floors. :)

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
We get awards for safety at work and I always choose Sharper Image. I saved up enough over 3 years to buy my wife a Roomba discovery robotic vacuum about a year ago. She loves it!!! About $275 and she hasn't vacuumed or swept in a year. She mops now and then, but turns this thing loose every time she leaves the house and it goes back to the charger when its done! Pretty neat. Oh, and I haven't swept the house in a year either, when I dirty the floor.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
I have astroturf mats to rub our shoes on, another coir mat, then inside a third cotton mat. Would like bigger inside mats. Dog steps on most of these en route. Also have rug/carpet over 1/2 downstairs but only one small rug right in path from outside. I keep an industrial size "Marge" (it's blue) dust mop that I pass over the main hallway when it looks furry (maybe weekly) and shake her out if I can see stuff or just put her back in her corner of honor with the debris gathered under her 'skirts'. Harder to do so in kitchen area with dust bunnies collecting around table and chair legs. Thrice this year I've washed Marge and then dampmopped floor with wet Marge and some additional water. Also spot scrub spilled nutella etc.

Have to admit I (and dog because she slips on pergo) regularly step onto carpetted areas to clean my feet of grit from pergo. And rarely vacuum (monthly?). When I did so yesterday got about 6 canisters (quart size?) of dog hair rug wool and dust from the rugs and carpets, half a canister from all the flooring. Yes, breathing better already, thank you.

·
Happiness is Homemade
3,512 Posts
rwinsouthla said:
We get awards for safety at work and I always choose Sharper Image. I saved up enough over 3 years to buy my wife a Roomba discovery robotic vacuum about a year ago. She loves it!!! About $275 and she hasn't vacuumed or swept in a year. She mops now and then, but turns this thing loose every time she leaves the house and it goes back to the charger when its done! Pretty neat. Oh, and I haven't swept the house in a year either, when I dirty the floor.
oooh I want one of these!!!! My only worry is, w/ 5 kids.... I can never be 100% sure they wont leave something out or under the couch that it'll suck up and get stuck and mess up the "robot"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts