Cleaning creek water to drink

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sancraft, Dec 28, 2004.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Can you make creek water drinkable? I am looking at 18 acres with a fast running creek. There is no well and I don't have the 5K that it would take to get one drilled.

2. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Check maps for anything upstream(like bad factories and the like) and MOST important, have it tested! Several times would be good.........then you'll know what to use to get rid of the contaminants...

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

You can make any water drinkable,with filters Chemicals and such.

I have a Spring that starts out on me and I wouldn't hesitate a second to use the water out of it.I have used Creek water for Bathing,Dishes, and such.

big rockpile

4. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Pump the water through a fine sediment filter and then route the water through a UV filter. The UV filter will kill any bacteria or viri in the water as long as the water is particle free.

5. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Boiling is good for disease organisms. It will not affect poisons though. If there's no source of chemical pollution upstream (likely if what you have is a fastmoving stream, BUT DO CHECK) then boiling is enough, and the mere fact that you can see that it's come to the boil is a visible indication that the process is complete.

Of course, that could still leave the water muddy, even with suspended clay that won't settle out. If that's the case, stir a LITTLE cement through the water (depends on the size of the container and the state of the water - use the least amount that will do the job - experiment). That will cause even suspended clay to settle out.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

sancraft, with 18 acres and a fast running creek it would not surprise me to find a small spring feeding into the creek on the property. A spring would have good quality water in most instances. If the creek area is sandy you possibly could back off the creek and find a spot to put a shallow well (driven well point type) that will deliver potable water. You need to look around some to get really acquainted with the property.

7. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

A Berkey water filter, with the black filters, will clean out most organisms and 99.9% of metal/chemical contaminents - runs about $250 but MUCH chealer than a well.

8. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

After testing the water, what about a British Berkfield type filter system?
    Jodi

9. inc

inc Well-Known Member

"You might only need to go 10-20 feet down"

psst- im a state away, but such a shallow well might not be legal or standard.

10. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

you folks are a lot more optimistic than i am about the availbility of clean and potable water in this country. or maybe i'm just a lot pickier. but with neighboring septic systems, multiple kinds of fertilizer runoff poisoning our ground water, neighbors up stream emptying god know what kind of crap into it, or even dead animals tossed into it (which was how my ex disposed of all the animals that died on our place that were smaller than a cow or horse).... i might use it for washing, but NO WAY am i drinking water from a creek. maybe 200 years ago, but not now. now, having said that, i did live completely with spring water for a dozen years as my only source of water, but i was in a very sparsely populated area, surrounded by national forest, the spring was up on a hill above the house, i could se the source, and no one else for miles in any direction- that i drank. mainly bcausee poele had ben drinking ffrom it for 100 years so i figurd i could too. but those places are scarcer than hens teeth.

so, my advice would be- use the creek for bathing and cleaning, but use bottled water for drinking and cooking.

11. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

one thing I'd sure be watching out for was gardia-beaver fever-you can pick that up from seemingly pristeen chrystal clear mountain streams.I boil all drinking water.

12. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Of course, you COULD run water from your roof to a swimming pool for washing and such, and BUY water for drinking.

Just a thought.

13. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

We used this type of system when we lived next to a river.
    Many people on the river did.
    On 18 acres I would also look for springs. We have several on our 17.5 acres with two little creeks. Our house and drinking water comes from one of the springs. I use the creek water for the gardens.

14. antiquestuff

I wouldn't use bottled water..........it's always in plastic now and chemicals and things(like some estrogens for example) are bad for you-I avoid plastic if possible. Rainwater collection is another good idea..........you can build a cistern cheaply yourself if you've got plenty of rocks........rock and mortar, coated with some more water resistant morter? I've thought about this too for my future homestead.......wells aren't cheap. If you've got a creek though, you can try digging/pounding your own well near it..........test the water first! Check maps of the area too (new maps of course!) for any possible big polluters like factories and such, and look at what your neighbors do near the creek.........if they use a lot of lawn chemicals or the like, you might have problems.......just be careful! Don't use asphalt roofing if you try to collect rainwater though.......I've read it can contaminate your water........use some good metal roofing with no toxic coatings.

15. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Agreed, drinking water from a creek is much more risky than well water, somone could dump just about anything in the creek upstream, and it will affect your water supply, not to mention farm chemicals!!!! :(

perhaps a shallow well 5-10 feet from the banks of the creek might provide some protection for small hazards, like a Illegally dumped deer carcus, but as long as the water keeps moving, exposer to such contanimants should be minimal, but how does the creek do during the dry summer? I almost bet there isn't much of a current. and nothing is worse than stale, creek water.

16. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

"I wouldn't use bottled water..........it's always in plastic ..." Any drinkable liquid bottled in plastic usually has a "taste." That taste is the plasticizer leaching into the liquid. In most cases the effects of that on humans are unknown. In one case a baby food manufacturer changed to a different plastic because the original plastic did have the potential to affect health. The plastic they now use had no test data to prove its suitability when the changed.

Back to the original subject: An ultra violet light filter will kill any pathogens. If you're concerned about chemicals, add a whole house charcoal filter. Another contaminant that most aren't aware of is pharmaceuticals. Many drugs pass through the body without being broken down or metabolized. If you live downstream from a populated area, that is another problem. FWIW, bottled water would probably still contain that stuff depending on the water source. A distillation unit as a final process for drinking water might remove that.

17. antiquestuff

That's something that bothers me-no real knowledge of the long term effects of it. Rainwater collection might work for the original poster..........that is harder to set up, but may be worth it if your area doesn't have serious acid rain problems....