Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Melissa, or anyone using an old-fashioned cast iron cook stove, how do you take care of it? I just got one hooked up (an old Kalamazoo, 1905 on back), and I don’t know how to keep it looking good. And what do I use to shine up the nickel trim? I know there’s such as thing as stove-black, but I also heard that just wiping with lard or shortening helps. What is the easiest and best way? Sure would appreciate help.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I can't answer you about how to clean the cookstove but would love to see a picture of it.

·
Western North Carolina
459 Posts
A very light coat of lard while it is warm is how the oldtimers took care of them.
It will season out like a cast iron pan.
I dont like stove black it can rub off on your dish towels ect.

You can make a past out of bakeing soda and water to shine up the nickel.
or buy some braso metel polish

I want to see a picture too!

·
Premium Member
42,683 Posts
You can use the stove black on the sides, and other parts where you are not going to be getting too close to it, it looks good but its kinda like boot polish and will come off on anything that touches it. I used a good ol wood burner for years and a lite coating of any kind of cooking oil, lard or crisco appied to the top and front, then wiped down well will put a really nice finish on it just like the cast iron pans. All the nickle parts can be polished with oil the same way once you have any of the old tarnish and such cleaned up. I use "barkeepers friend" to clean all my iron cookware with, and it works great on getting the stains and tarnish off. Once you have it pretty well seasoned, just dusting it once a day with a few drops of oil on a paper towel will keep it that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts