Cleaning Cages

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by JLM, May 14, 2006.

1. JLM

JLM New Member

Has anyone ever tried to use a power washer to clean rabbit cages (the kind you use to wash your car or patio)?

I realize this would not disinfect them, but I'm thinking it might help get them clean - get the gunk off them. It would be kind of expensive but would have other uses.

2. awfulestes

awfulestes Well-Known Member

I always use a power washer first to remove the urine buildup. It gets everything off fast. Cleans chicken coops , dog houses, yard swings, ect. I just pick a day every couple of months and do it all. I then go over everything with bleach water then rinse again. In between times I spot clean with soap and water. ( power washer will take paint off!! And you probably want to make sure you watch your aim.LOL)

3. JLM

JLM New Member

Thank you.

I think I will start looking around to buy one.

4. wilded

wilded Well-Known Member

Use bleach in the water and do it all at once.

5. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

I don't have a power washer :shrug: . I use a propane torch and a stiff nylon brush to brush off the ash.

6. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

It works wonderfully. We had a clostridium problem, and we used to power wash the cages, then bleach for 20 minutes, then rinse, and this was enough to stop the spread of the disease.

7. awfulestes

awfulestes Well-Known Member

I thought bleach might eat the power washer up. I like it stronge and let the cages soak awhile then rinse and let dry until all oders are gone. The power washers will tear up stuff that is rotten or not made well. I always make sure evrything is still in one piece before putting the buns back in.

8. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, you don't want to put anything in the power washer that it's not made for. I know they have disenfectants they make for power washers, though, you could look those up... but in my opinion, good, old fashioned bleach is fine, we use 1/4 bleach, 3/4 water if I recall right, and use either a garden sprayer or sponge, making sure to add some as it dries, as needed. That will kill ANYTHING on your cage, because Clostridium is extremely difficult to kill off, and it works for that!