Cleaning and disinfecting hair combs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cast iron, Dec 17, 2004.

1. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

How does one clean and disinfect hair combs and brushes? I seem to remember my mom soaking them in a glass of something - vinegar, bleach, alcohol, diesel fuel????? :)

Wayne

2. feycat

feycat Well-Known Member

As long as there aren't lice or other crawly things and you have pulled the hair out of it THrow it in the dishwasher. It cleans and disinfect and doesn't leave anything nasty on the dishes. Sounds strange but you'd be amazed at what you can do with a DW. *G*

3. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

If you want clean, just throw all of the combs, brushes and such in a pan of water and bring to a boil...turn off and let cool. This will kill germs, lice or anything like that too.

Belinda

4. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

As one who meets state guidelines for Massage Therapy.... and once upon a time I actually went to Cosmetology school......

You can soap and hot water clean the combs and brushes.. use brush to help suds up the comb and get grit out of teeth. THEN.. you can rinse/soak for a short time in 10% bleach solution (water). Boiling is not necessary, and may melt your combs and brushes.

OR.. after that.. if your'e still worried.. you can soak them in rubbing alcohol.

Note: do not mix the bleach and alcohol... I'm not sure it's a safe combo?

5. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

Easiest way is to throw them in the wash machine with a load of whites that you will be using bleach with. Clean as much of the hair out of them that you can before putting them in though. They usually come out clean as a whistle.

Laura Lynn

6. mountain granny

mountain granny Well-Known Member

I have a nylon net bag that I put the combs and brush in. I then throw them in the washer with my white clothes. I do this weekly.

7. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll bet your mom did the same as mine - a little dish soap and a dash of sudsy ammonia, fill the glass jar with hot water, and let sit for an hour or so, rinse well, and good to go. The hair oils, etc just melt off the combs and brushes with no harm to them.

8. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Be careful using alcohol. For some reason it reacts with some plastics and they disentigrate into little bitty chunks. This happened to me with a hairbrush, and to a lady who used alcohol to clean her new eye glasses. Before dishwashers, used ammonia.

9. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I throw mine in the dishwasher (toothbrushes, too).