Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Enjoying Four Seasons
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our small apartment that we rent out is entirely heated via a propane stove. We purchased it new a few years ago and had it professionally installed. I believe it is between 55-65 BTU's.

My tenant has gotten a few pieces of mail from the company that delivers propane suggesting that the stove needs to be cleaned every year. Is this the case?

I would have thought that propane burned pretty clean. What is there that needs to be cleaned inside? Is this something that we should have done?

At first I thought it was just the propane company looking for extra money during the slower summer months, but I want to be safe and certainly don't want any fire or carbon monoxide dangers!

Any advice you folks have is greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Propane cleaner than oil, dirtier than natural gas.
clean and service unit, clean burners, test safeties and cut offs, adjust combustion

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
I have burned propane for amany a year. Usualy the only thing that you need to be concerned about is the cobwebs in it. When you light the stove look at the the burner and see that it has no yellow in it. If you do then it will have to be cleande by a profesitional to adjust the mixtiure. Of course you cant go wrong by havein it checkec every time it comes on.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Personally I believe that propane stoves should be checked and cleaned every two to three years. As combustion occurs air is drawn into the stove from near floor level. Along with that air is dust stirred up by people walking, the circulation of the air etc. A lot of dust does settle on the burner itself over the course of a year or several years. That is the smell you get at the first of the season the first time the stove is lit or turned on.

Depending upon you climate and the burner itself rust can form inside of a cast iron one, sometimes plugging gas ports. Unfortunately leaving a standing pilot operating keeps the moisture burned out while at the same time heating the air even in the summer.

Since it has been a number of years since new why not have it serviced and then every few years thereafter? You may wish for the service personnel to replace the thermocouple or at least leave you a correct one as a spare should it go out over a weekend, etc.

That is really about the only thing that does go out on them until the gas valve and components goes bad.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Maitenance calls are cheaper than service calls. Proves you've done your due diligance if the tenant claims neglect of the property or hazzardous conditions. By code here all heating systems are to be serviced and checked annually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts