Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker (10years), first post. In the process of starting a off grid cabin and a well is the last thing on my list, in the mean time I would like to have some clean water for flushing toilet, washing dishes and shower. Thinking of a four wheel trailer and 250 gallon tote with a 12v pump. Any other suggestions would be welcome, thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,999 Posts
Paint it or put in a shed or tarp to keep algae away.

A little bleach is also your friend.

Don't live in Minnesota, you end up with a 250 gallon block of ice 6 months of the year......

Paul

·
Household Six
290 Posts
Composting toilet ... why would you use clean water to flush a water-based toilet, and where would it flush to? Separate out the cooking/drinking water from the washing water as well. Cleaning your body and clothing does not require drinking-quality water.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Rainwater catchment. I prefer that system over a well. It is cheaper. Your water is accessible even if the electricity is out. I've been on rainwater catchment for most of the last 10 years.

·
Premium Member
8,999 Posts
As the others suggest, not knowing your location, water is pretty important, I would not put a well as the last thing on a list either. Are you in a location where you can be pretty sure of getting water whenever you get to it on the list? Would be really bad to invest so much time and money and effort and the come up dry......

Flushing a toilet suggests a septic system; I'm not going to ask where that is on your list. ;)

Otherwise, the tote works fine in warm weather as I mentioned, several here in the past have used them for freshish water.

Welcome to the forums also. :)

Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. On the dry side of Oregon, closest neighbor went 600 feet for three gallons a minute ($16,000) so it will have to stay at the back of the list. Just seems like a flush toilet would be nice, I also forgot to say that this wouldn't be my full time residence (wish it was), by the time I could make this happen I'm afraid I will be too old to fight the snow.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
A rainwater catchment system will cost you far less than a well. I had rainwater catchment when I lived in the Chihuahuan Desert. Average annual rainfall is 10 inches. It is all about sizing your tanks correctly.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Just seems like a flush toilet would be nice,
They are nice, but as someone asked, where is a septic, or even an aeration system on your list? You just can't flush a toilet into the great beyond. It has to have some place to go.. .

I know in the city you never think about that. That's because everyone takes a sewer for granted. In the country, you don't have the luxury of a town supplied sewer, so you have to install your own system.

An average price for a septic or aeration system is $8-10K...

A composting toilet, or an outhouse will be your cheapest options...

Water should be your first priority no matter where you live. You can't live without water... If you don't have a creek to pull water from, you can catch rain as others stated.. You can set up a filter system that can filter your water to make it clean enough to wash dishes and such. I've taken many a bath and shower with water straight from a creek, or even a lake... I've also washed many dishes in the creek...

Reactions: dfr1973

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
What are you going to pull that trailer with?
Id rather haul on a truck than a trailer.
In either case if you have two tanks one can be clean water one can be septic to return to water treatment facilities.

In a occasional use a 8' square crib 4' deep will handle all the water you will haul in a 250 gallon tank.

·
in memoriam
6,352 Posts
I'd check to confirm what the legal requirements are for water catchment, septic options, etc... If you are in Oregon, there will be.

We have an outhouse, only because it has been on this property for many years (grandfathered in). They are no longer allowed to be built.

Water should absolutely be the top priority, no matter which option you choose. We were fortunate to have had a choice, as our #1 priority was a good well with pure water. If we wanted to save a lot of money, we could have bought a property without septic, water, and power (even had RV hookups). I figured out the difference and financially we are way ahead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts