Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have hired a logging company to come remove all of our pine trees that are dying off. They're paying us, but it is not very much. They of course leave a path of destruction. My wife is upset about the amount of "destruction" of our smaller hardwood trees.

So, I told her I would try and find some ways to clean it up and make it look nice. Any ideas on what we can do to clean up the mess and possibly make it look a little nicer? If we leave it be, do we limit the amount of regrowth? Or should we attempt to get in there and pull out any broken branches and such?

Thanks!!

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
2,014 Posts
Depends on what your end goal is. We typically ask the logging company to pile as much slash as possible. Wait til the winter and burn. I've also used a heavy duty landscape rake and bush hog to clean up and mulch the small remanents.

We've got contractors here with the skid steer mounted mulchers who will come shred most of the small stuff for a fairly reasonable price.

How big of an area is it?

·
Premium Member
15,828 Posts
It depends on the size of the cut. If it's small enough I would go through with a chainsaw and cut any large branches that are sticking up. Be very careful because a lot of those branches could be under tension. I think our state or county requires loggers to knock down any limbs that are more than 5' from the ground. That's to help them decompose faster. The closer to the ground you can get them the faster they will break down and the faster the regrowth will cover them. I'm not sure that the branches will impede the growth of existing seedlings.

Reactions: 101pigs

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Do you have any photos of the land?

I'm clearing out some timber currently to use as pasture. I'm a one man crew with a chainsaw. I clear about 1/4- 1/2 acre at a time.
I also use my tractor and a landscape/rock rake to push and drag all of the debris into piles. I give it until early fall and light it up. Dragging the ground will expose the soil and allow new growth quicker.

Loggers can be hit and miss. I have known some who will negotiate cleanup and others that will leave the end result looking like the day after Gettysburgh.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have pictures yet of where they are working. We are having about 2-3 acres worth cleared, but it's within patches of hardwoods. Of course the heavy equipment they're using is destroying lots of the hardwoods.

They are using a machine that cuts, and moves the logs and I believe it's clearing the logs of the canopy branches also. I am expecting a LOT of cleanup because the buyer did not mention anything about it. We kind of jumped into this project blindly due to the dangers the pines are posing to the house/property/kids. They're about 80ft tall and coming down on a regular basis with the storms and such.

I will see if I can get my drone in the air this evening to look at the damage.

It took me over a year to do a a bunch of the pines myself with a chainsaw and then had to dispose of the logs/trimmings. Right now, we do NOT have a tractor to assist with the clean up. I was hoping to use the payment from the logging company towards a down payment on one. We shall see if that happens!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pine decomposes fairly quickly, especially if it has been standing dead for a while. I dropped a bunch of pines and just cut the branches and left them to rot in some areas, others I made a mulch pile and use for various purposes. Some of the trunks I dragged up to the top of edge of the road up from the house to increase the bulk of the berm to help deflect water away from the house. Other logs I staggered across sloped areas to control erosion. Some I lined across a little depression to bring it level with the surrounding area. When I got my Kubota it was 0 down and 0 interest. I rented it to responsible neighbors for 35 an operation hour unmanned or 100 manned. The rent more than paid for itself.

·
Premium Member
18,078 Posts
Do a google search for "timber mulcher" or "forestry mulcher." These are machines that completely mulch all the slash and stumps left over from logging operations. If you think that will work for you, you might want to research a company in your area that does this.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
If they are paying you for the logs, you didn't hire them, they purchased standing timber. Did you ask them to be careful around the hardwoods, and to minimize the damage? I have worked a lot of logging jobs, and we always tried hard to comply with any requests by the land owner.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've only dealt with one logger and he left a mess of it all. I'm glad the trees are gone but it's going to cost me a bunch to clean it up. I would recommend a forestry mulcher for cleanup. I had 2 companies come up to look at the mulching of the spot I had the logger, going to cost 2k. Without a tractor, it's going to be very hard to clean up any of the mess. Id call a few forestry mulching companies and price it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts