Clean Kills (How to do it???)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Dec 4, 2004.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ok, on the homestead, it is a fact of life, we kill to live. This past week, I went to a friends house. He has raised and slaughtered hundreds upon hundreds of pigs. This was only my third or fourth time with a pig, so I was more learning than helping. The very first time I ever slaughtered a pig I was about 16 and used a sledge hammer on the pig, it was the way my uncle did his pigs. I didn't think it was very effective, but he did it that way for a long time. The last couple pigs I killed I used my 9MM and it was pretty quick and effective. The stupid part during that adventure was that the pig was in an open 3 acre pasture and after the first pig was downed, it was EXTREMELY difficult to down the last one. So this last week, at my friends house, we had the pig isolated that was to be slaughtered, and this friend used his .22 rifle that he usually uses. He get behind the pigs ear and shoots into the temple.

This pig was the hardest he ever slaughtered. He shot it 10 times with his .22 and then had me shoot it twice with my 9MM, he also sliced the pigs cartoid (a clean cut) and this pig lived for 30 minutes after this, it was bled out, as was evidenced when we skinned and split it.

Are there just some animals that are harder than others or is there a better way to do this. What say ye? Before you assume that is wasn't done right, again let me assure you, that this gentleman has killed hundreds of animals, if not more than a thousand.

This particluar animal was a pig, but how about larger animals in general?

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

No one routinely kills animals without encountering a "Terminator." I recently had a terminator chicken who survived three violent neck wringings before being done in by my Buck knife. It seems as though her lack of muscle tone prevented her neck from breaking, according to my chiropractor, who I saw a while after that disturbing little experience.

I don't think it has anything to do with experience--it's a rite of passage. :)

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The proper way on the homestead to put a hog down is to stun it with a properly placed long rifle bullet from a 22. When the animal hits the ground then with a very sharp knife cut the jugular vein in the neck. As a safety factor, stand at the nose of the downed animal to do this cut to reduce the danger of the animal from kicking you in its stunned state. To better understand the placement of the bullet from the 22 open the head of a dead hog and observe the location of the brain in relation to its eyes. Properly placed the long rifle bullet will put any hog of any size down with one shot.

4. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

I've killed many pigs and never had a problem with a 22 between the eyes and they show you the spot.They drop cut their throat end of story.Use long rifle bullets.

5. seedspreader

So neither of you have ever had to shoot more than once?

The plan was (and always is with this gentleman) to shoot once and then slice. As I said he is not a novice. He has a butcher shop in his basement, one of the best home set up's I have ever seen.

6. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

Would you be so kind as to tell us where this proper spot is??

7. agmantoo

I was in the commercial hog business and we would process many cull sows into sausage over the years. I do not recall ever having to shoot a hog more than once. I have had to dispatch a few that others failed to cleanly kill however. Most people make the mistake of judging the location of the brain and they shoot and the bullet enters in at the approximate place but the angle was off and the bullet travels too low toward the nose of the hog. If the hog has its head down low, then the shooter needs to squat in order to get the angle for the bullet to penetrate the brain.

8. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

A .22 may or may not kill a hog. A .357 certainly will. Unless you want to make head cheese. If you are going to kill an animal for meat, I think that you should do do it in the most efficient way... no pain, & no fear.To me, this means a major calibre pistol shot to the head. Immediate death,without fear or panic.

9. goggleye57

goggleye57 Active Member

Make an imaginary X from their right ear to their left eye and the left ear to the right eye. Or even chalk it if you want to be sure, then a 22 long rifle right in the center of the x. It rarely ever fails for me. As stated before you don't want to instantly kill the hog just stun it so the heart continues to beat while you stick the hog. Stick the sharp knife in its chest straight down, right above the sternum. Draw the blade up through the body towards the head and you cut through several major arteries. A couple of gallons of blood should swoosh right out if you do it right. You want to get that blood right out

10. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

We run a commercial hog operation and also have dispatched hundreds of hogs usually with one shot. Recently, however, we also encountered a "terminator" hog. I did not think we were ever going to get it killed and even after it had finally been stunned enought to be stuck and bled, it took forever to really DIE.
    My hubby has a theory. We had been advised by a "consultant" to add some Welsh and Landrace to our breeding herd. The Welsh was a total failure and cost a BUNDLE and we just prefer not to talk about that fiasco...... Hubby thinks this hog may have had more Welsh/ Landrace influence than we were used to dealing with and her head was not shaped correctly. So when we shot in our normal place--- about 6 times--- we were not where we thought we were.......
    Since hubby has a PhD in animal breeding and genetics, he may be on the right track.
    So, your experience may have been because of her breed or some other "head defect".
    Don't let it discourage you.
    Tana Mc

11. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Always used a .22 on Hogs and Beef never had a problem.

big rockpile

12. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

The only problem we ever had in putting a hog down was tryinig to use 22 shorts....don't do it! Long rifle 22 placed into the head 3/4 inch above a X from a line drawn from base of ear to the opposite eye will do the trick. Easiest method I have come up with is to isolate the hog and give it some milk and grain in a bowl. While the hog drinks the head is dead still and there is no guess work about it.

Problem I had with higher caliber weapons (357 with a 38 load) is that it killed them too quickly and i did not get a good bleed...IMO.

regards,
    Bob

13. seedspreader

Thanks Tana,

That was almost our exact experience, and of course we don't like to see them suffer, but this boy was sliced from ear to ear and it was still a half hour before it died, that's after the many shots to the head.

So is this the general consensus then, the "X" factor (for lack of a better phrase) and a .22 LR ? I will try it the next time I slaughter. Just a question for those that work in the commercial industry, do they have slaughter collars for the pigs on the "conveyor" in the commercial places? A thing they stick their head into to eat that holds them from moving after the stun? Would something like that work with a pig?

14. agmantoo

15. agmantoo

Just a note on the above site where they mention scalding the animal. I do not scald, instead I skin the animal. It only takes me about 1 hour to process a 220 lb hog and this is much less time than scalding if you take heating the water into account.