Clean doggy feet?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Doggypal, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Doggypal

Doggypal Member

I have 5 dogs (1 lab, 2 strays/mixes, 2 beagles) and they all have the run of the house, couch, bed, you name it. Well they have a dog door leading into a big fenced yard. They go out, they come in, they go out, they... well you get the idea. So since we never got any snow this winter (mud), and I don't clean the yard as often I should (work full time and 3 kids) their feet are not the cleanest(yuk).
    I've put rugs inside and out of their door and recently covered the muddiest areas with old hay, but what do others do for cleanliness. When I had just 2, I would wipe their feet with an old towel. I eventually want to cover the yard with gravel or flat stones (abundant up here), but that's on the "to do" list. I wondered if there was some special product (mat type) or other material I should try. Thanks for all your input.

2. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. Same problem here. This fall I pretty much cut down on the size of the yard they could go in, crossed fenced, its now about 40' x 20' and completely covered it with wheat straw. Took about 6 bales. It is great so far. Best $25 I spent in a long time!

3. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Gravel?
    I saw a house that had put a steel grate right under their door instead of deck and all the dirt fell off. I let my dogs lounge on the deck if they are dirty.

4. JasoninMN

JasoninMN Well-Known Member Supporter

Astro turf! Its green and looks like lawn...lmao. I saw somewhere where a guy tared his yard and painted it green.

I have mine trained to sit at the door on the rug when they come in till I tell them its okay. That probably won't work since you have a doggy door though.

5. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

How about latching the dog door until it dries up/freezes and letting them out when you can dry off thier feet when they are finished?

6. Doggypal

Doggypal Member

Thanks for all your responses so far. very interesting about the grating, maybe I could do something with that idea (we don't have a deck, yet) Gravel is a great idea as I thought... 2 summers ago I spent weeks and weeks wheelbarreling gravel into the yard (my husband and I are masons, so it helped me get ready for the season :) but I didn't put in enough or follow through with "stone dust" I guess to fill the cracks, so grass is growing right up through and I hate the thought of doing that again by hand, ultimately I might revisit that idea (with a Bobcat of course). And I suppose I could try letting them out one by one and wiping their feet. hmmm. Well I have thoughts for the day. THanks again.