Class 8 trucks

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by james dilley, Mar 11, 2005.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

If you had a choice which would you pick a Volvo or a Frtlnr. as the Volvo has electical problems and the freightliners have glass problems ,just to name a few.

2. opus

opus Well-Known Member

What is the use of this truck?

3. james dilley

O T R to haul freight in the 48 continental states

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Judging by the number of Freightliners sitting in the finished vehicle parking area at the factory you should be able to buy a bargain in any color of your choice. They must have 1000s of trucks in inventory. All available storage is consumed and they are now parking in a muddy farm field miles from the plant.

5. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Given those seem to be the only 2 options you are open to, I would go Freightliner.

I think more important specs would be power plant, trans, etc.

6. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

We own an FLC "Condo" we bought after a fleet sold out. Great truck and has made both the driver and us some good money.

I personally have owned a Peterbuilt COE (Hey it was the early 90's give me a break) and hated it. I had a friend that had a big old chicken hauler show truck BuiltbyPeter that would win most shows that he went to... I just didn't find it conformtable. I got addicted to being able to stand up in the cabs I guess. When you are 6'5" thats a definite benefit.

We are currently looking to buy another used tractor at the moment, the MOST important to me if I was to buy a Volvo (is it a 660 ot 770?) or a Freighliner would be the engine/trans combo. I don't think you can beat the Series 60 personally. Great longevity and decent fuel economy. We keep holding off on purchasing, because we just can't find the right combo of engine/trans/cab comfort in the right price range right now.

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Freightliner

big rockpile

8. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I know most folks don't like a Mack for OTR but what about an IH?

9. opus

opus Well-Known Member

I'm glad you brought that up. I am a Mack man to the bones. Started my Mack life driving a B-82 and would love to have one now.
    I think you are right, their forte' isnt OTR. Even in this country, all the loggers have Pete's and KW's. Wonder what they are thinking? Must never had run one before.

10. james dilley

I would not mind a Mack except that the fiananceing is for a frtlnr or volvo. the Mack ,is a decent truck and I had one yrs ago wish I could find a B 62 they were a great truck.