Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clasps are an obstacle for me.

My bracelets are priced at about $30-40+

They have been called "heirloom quality". Each bracelet takes about 4-6+ hours because each bead is hand sewn into place.
It was suggested to me that my "base metal" clasps devalue my pieces.

If I did get something like sterling silver Id have to raise the price of the pieces anywhere from $5-$20.
http://www.artbeads.com/silver-components-clasps.html

I was using ribbon clamps, now I'm not sure what type to use.
I liked the fact the ribbon clamps allowed it to become adjustable. With those claps that's pretty much not an option.

I don't know what type to choose.

And then there is the question for children's jewelry.
Im designing pieces for little girls for spring/easter Sunday.
Do I put base metal on them, or sterling silver?

I dont have pictures on my phone, but here are links to a couple pieces that I'm talking about
https://www.etsy.com/listing/210557550/unique-christmas-bracelet-hand-made?ref=shop_home_active_7

https://www.etsy.com/listing/209308361/handmade-candy-cane-beaded-bracelet?ref=related-1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/211097...racelet-beaded-cuff?ref=listing-shop-header-3

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Have you considering buying old costume jewelry at sales of charity stores? Maybe the clasps would be more interesting even if not silver. I looked at the first link. Those are very pretty. Maybe you can include an offer to upgrade the clasps on request for $___ ??

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you considering buying old costume jewelry at sales of charity stores? Maybe the clasps would be more interesting even if not silver. I looked at the first link. Those are very pretty. Maybe you can include an offer to upgrade the clasps on request for $___ ??
Im afraid offering upgrades would be a lot of trouble due to sizing and time constraints..

Reactions: Use Less

·
Registered
512 Posts
This is just my opinion (FTR, I love silver), but if you're not using silver or semi-precious stones, Swarovski crystal or something else that is more costly in the ornamental part of the jewelry, then I don't see where it makes sense to use a silver fastener. Especially given the resulting price increase, and especially where you're looking at something that will be worn seasonally. For little girl jewelry, I can tell you my little girls play hard enough that using silver would be a waste on them. If you do decide that silver is the right way to go, have you looked at Fire Mountain Gems to see if their clasps are more affordable?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is just my opinion (FTR, I love silver), but if you're not using silver or semi-precious stones, Swarovski crystal or something else that is more costly in the ornamental part of the jewelry, then I don't see where it makes sense to use a silver fastener. Especially given the resulting price increase, and especially where you're looking at something that will be worn seasonally. For little girl jewelry, I can tell you my little girls play hard enough that using silver would be a waste on them. If you do decide that silver is the right way to go, have you looked at Fire Mountain Gems to see if their clasps are more affordable?
Well, I am going to be making more unseasonable items in the future.

I dont think I really understand what "base metal" is vs what my other options (besides .925) are.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I think "base metal" in this context means "not silver, gold or copper". You could use pewter, or silver plate over pewter, brass, or steel, or gold plate, copper plate, etc. I do like the use of the ribbon clamps, as it seems like the clamp would be a very secure and strong attachment to the bead work. An end bar might be another option with a similar look.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do like the look of the end bars, I just wasnt sure how well it would hold up with the string exposed like it is.

It would look better in some instances though

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I use silver and gold plate. Rather cheap but look like the real thing.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Reactions: SeaGoat

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback! I feel a little more confident now :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can also make your own ends- a loop and a ball in beads, or two loops onto which you attach a toggle clasp, one piece on each end. Or make a loop that will fit a lobster clasp on a jump ring. Lots of options out there!
As far as children's jewelry, the fire line will not hold up if you plan to make similar items to your etsy links. They are very hard on jewelry for the most part. I agree, silver is wasted on them.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Firstly, I think they look good. Secondly, I think you've done a good job with the photography, and I like the way you've arranged them. It shows that they aren't terribly stiff and would be comfortable to wear. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Firstly, I think they look good. Secondly, I think you've done a good job with the photography, and I like the way you've arranged them. It shows that they aren't terribly stiff and would be comfortable to wear. :thumb:
Thank you!
At the price they are listed I think they would sell better in person.
It's hard to pick up the real shine on camera and actually feeling them in your hands is amazing.
Everyone that picks them up loves touching them

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what about the magnet clasps
I have thought about those, but for the price of the jewelry idk if people would trust magnets at the end of the day.

For children I got the ones that you have to twist close

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are crimp tubes a must?

I looped my toggles several times aligns the clasp then weaved the extra string back into the piece in a way that it locks into place.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you ever worry about the thread coming through the opening of the jump ring or fraying if it rubs against it? Toggles seem to take up too much of a bracelet to me-
Even on these photos, i find the toggle gets as much attention as the bracelet, when it should be the lesser part of the piece- do you know what I mean? Also- silver is at its lowest price in a long time- you may want to invest now if you go with silver! Magnet clasps are an option for these bracelets- they are stronger than you think- the bracelet may even break before the magnets let go, at least the ones I bought. I sold a 75 dollar necklace with a magnetic clasp that held it just fine. She loved the ease of putting it on. The main problem with doing your bracelets this way (attached permanently) is that you don't have the ability to easily change the clasps for customers. If you made small loops of beads, then you could offer different pricing for clasps if you chose. Even in your etsy photos, you feature the clasp in front, not the bracelet! I'd suggest taking off one or two rings and offer to add them if they need it larger, to bring more focus on the bracelets, which are lovely. OH, and in your pearl listing, you've got a spelling error where it should say 'pearl'! Hope I didn't offend...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts