Clark\Powell , Wy>>Anyone living in this Area??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Nov 26, 2004.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............Anyone living in this area of Wy have any info on weather , land prices , the economy info they would like to share , thanks , fordy :)

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Fordy, I lived there for two years while the wife was in school, in 96 and97, You better have money or be a morman worshipper. And I say this because you kids won't get a straight shot at anything in school, i e first string in sports, scholarships, and such. Also when I lived there I couldn't get a house loan, BUT I could get a loan at CODY, a town 35 miles away. I was in the oilfield so it didn't hurt me much as it did for a job or promotions,as it did to other people and I still see this as this spring I was working there on contract from another company. There is land but it is high. If I was moving to wyoming I'd check DUBOISE, RIVERTON, GREYBULL, THERMOPOLIS, METEETSEE, CENTENNIAL, SARATOGA. All in or besides the mountains, cheap land, resonable access to doctors, and grocery shopping and in that order. Rawlings is also another place but it's a hard place to live for a job, but it has the only prison and pays well just takes time to get on, and the hospital sucks. I have lived in wyoming for 36 years and loved it. I just couldn't seem to get that gold ring off the merry go round and didn't want to be at the whims of the employers of this state. But if I win the lottery???????????? I'll be back, probably, maybe, oh heck I gotta see tenn. and Kentucky first! Shadowwalker

3. coventry49

coventry49 Well-Known Member

South Central Montana, foothills of the Beartooth
    fordy, I live about 35 miles north of Powell, in southern Montana. The climate, geography and geology are pretty much the same there as it is here in Carbon County, MT. USDA zone 4b, 15" or less of precip, hot summers, mostly mild, open winters, interspersed with a couple of frigid Alberta clippers, plunging overnight lows to -30 for a few days at a time. (But then the temps go back up to normal winter 20's to upper 30's).

Lots and lots of wildlife.

Bottom land, around rivers is normally pretty fertile. Growing season from mid-May through end of Sept, if you protect your crops from early and late frosts. You will need to irrigate, so make sure you have water rights for enough shares of water to serve your needs. Any pretty land, with nice mountain views, is quite expensive. But if you are willing to settle for views of rimrocks and buttes rather than snow-capped mountains, you will find land is more reasonable.

I tried living in Wyoming for 2 and a half years. I loved it there, but the only job I could find was delivering Domino's pizza parttime in Sheridan. Although it was the most fun job I've ever had, it couldn't begin to pay the bills. I finally gave up and moved a couple hours north to the Billings, Montana area. There I found a wonderful job, just outside of the city, and eventually moved to my own place here in the Clarks Fork Valley in Carbon County. I must commute 30 miles each way to work, but the bennies of living here are so much more than worth it.

I don't post here too much, since I am pretty new to this homesteading life, but I sure am an avid reader. If you have any other questions about the area, I'd be glad to try to answer them. :)

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.....................shadow and coventry , just wanted to thank You'll for responding to my query . I made 5 trips up thru Wy. and Montana between 1978 and 1982 . My main focus was Jellystone and Glacier parks . My favorite Town I discovered on my last trip was Red Lodge , Mt . There was a 3-bay Conoco station on the main drag which was very small at that time . This station also , had a 2,000 sq. ft. basement directly Under the gas pumps and most of the building . It , could have been turned into a real nice living quarters for someone at the time . The oldman who was the owner wanted to sell out and retire. He was asking 175,000 for the whole Enchilda . I , had about 500 in cash for travel money at the time as I was on my home . He , wouldn't take a down payment and carry a note for 174,500 at 10% . I spent the better part of 2 hours begging for coins at the Stop light but I just couldn't raise the other 174,500 that afternoon :eek: . I never wanted Anything as bad in my life as I wanted to buy that Station and move to that town . The women up there were Really tan ...and Wrinkled up :waa: . I , guess it was because of the high dosage(s) of UV . They , really can't ride around in a CJ-7 in a Thong and a beer in their other hand . There , is a whole nother world outside of Texas . The country up there just takes your breath away it is so darn beautiful . From what I've been told Red Lodge was Discovered back in the mid 80's and NOW there are Condo's all up and down the valley . I , haven't been back since 1982 , oh well . fordy... :)