CLA Again

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by MichaelK, Jul 21, 2006.

1. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

I cannot believe that there is no one out there who has had CLA in their flock at one time or another.. Come on.
    I am doing my best to eliminate it by culling and vacccinating and disinfecting and would really like to hear about anyone else's experience with this lousy bacteria.
    Thanks

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We had a CL scare with a new ram once, he tested Neg. All the same we embarked on a vacination and culling regeim and I haven't seen a suspicious lump since. That said the bacteria can live an awfully long time in the soil and pretected places like wooden beams inside a barn. Perhaps i should revacinate the flock again for a few years, (not really sure why we went off Glanvac 6 for that matter) We basically run a closed flock so there's not many ways to bring it in. To be honest I'm more concerned about hoof and mouth.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

CL is UV sensitive so maybe a UV light source to diseinfect would be feasable? Not sure it just came to me when i noticed I spelled protected wrong (at the least) in my first reply

4. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    Not that I want to get flamed here but what is CLA?

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

6. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

Most commonly referred to as CL

7. Kasidy

Kasidy Well-Known Member

CL came into my herd of sheep through a doe goat I was given by a relative. She said the abcess was from a weed seed or something. Within a year it was into my herd of 65 ewes.
    My vet taught me what to do and over the next five years I got real good at lancing abcesses. Be sure to lance them before they break, wear gloves, clean up all the goo and put it in a garbage sack. Clean the wound with hydrogen peroxide and then flush with that tubed penacillan for treating mastitis in cows. Isolate the animal(s) til there is no drainage. The worst year I had to treat 12 ewes and 3 does. This all started 11 years ago. The worst year was 8 years ago. And I have had NO cases in either species for 5 years. Only one animal is left on the place that ever had an abcess--I never culled for CL, just for the other standard reasons for culling. I also never did go the vaccination route--my vet was not in favor of that, cannot remember exactly why. But I watch the few new animals I add to the herd very carefully! It is really ugly to deal with and I never want to do it again!!
    I believe the key to wiping it out is to watch those sheep very very closely and pull anybody with an abcess out immediately and lance it before it breaks and contaminates more animals. I missed a few before I realized what it was and I think that is why I had trouble for a few years.

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Been away for a while so I couldn't respond. We have lanced and destroyed the pus and quarantined. Like you, we didn't realize what we had before it was too late. Anyhow we did cull 9 ewes and our ram last week. We only have one confirmed yearling left but she dropped a really big black QR Katahdin ram lamb last week so we have to keep her for a while. The lamb will be observed carefully and culled or sold as necessary. 25 ewe lambs and confirmed RR ram lambs will be vaccinated next week and the rest will go to market.

Here's the kick in the butt about this story:

The culls were brought to the slaughterhouse on Thursday for a Friday kill at the largest facility in Vermont. While hanging the slaughterhouse burnt to the ground. ... Maybe that's a sign! Anyway we WILL be CL free. It takes alot of determination and perseverence but we will prevail!