Cl??

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Lana, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Lana

Lana Active Member

I just found a ewe in my flock that has multiple bite looking abscess/scabs on her chest and neck. They are infected and have white puss in them. The whole area is firm like it has infection/puss inside.These bite looking areas are small not a large bump like i have seen in Cl pictures. We have never had CL and this does not look like the pictures I have seen of it. I separated the ewe from the herd and scrubbed the area with soap, then I put iodine on the area,and gave a shot of La200. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe spider bite gone very bad or.....We just pray it is not CLA.Thanks for any insight.Lana

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Doubtful as CL infects the Lymphadic system and produces hard puss filled lumps slowly, that burst with chunks of hard puss. She may have tangled with some wire and lost, I'd clean the wounds that are open with a dilute iodine wash and treat with Pen G but as she has oxytet in her I'd stick with it. If you have Boroform I'd use it too. Welcome to our little sheep board here!!

3. Lana

Lana Active Member

Thanks Ross looks like a great forum!What is boroform?This infection is really nasty with many bite looking areas over a large area..poor gal we are due to start lambing in 2 weeks and i know she cant feel good.No sign on any of the other ewes and we just sheared our wool flock so i would see them.Lana

4. Lana

Lana Active Member

Is boroform like Blue Kote?

5. Ross

bleuspray? It does have a new name I think. Any topical ointment or spray to keep the infection at bay would help add to what you are doing.

6. Lana

Lana Active Member

Ok same stuff we have plenty of that will give her a good spray of it.Thanks much.Lana

7. Craftyshepherdess

Craftyshepherdess Active Member

8. Lana

Lana Active Member

Tish,i have 2 flocks hair and wool..just had wool done thurs but this is a hair ewe.Lana

9. Lana

Lana Active Member

Ross,i am fairly certain this is not a wire cut. We dont have loose wire about in their winter pastures and this looks like LOTS of little bites. Most have scabs and are concave with puss with you squeeze them. I was thinking of trying DMSO do you know if that can be used on late trimester ewes?I have only used it once on a friends ewe who was attacked by a dog.It was amazing to see how the DMSO cauterized the wound and after a month or so the old skin just sloughed off leaving new healed skin.Lana

10. Ross

Its probably obvious but what is DMSO?

11. frogdog

frogdog Guest

It would appear that no tests have been conducted regarding safety during pregnancy or lactation. I would be leary of applying it directly to any kind of infection. A story was relayed to me (second hand) of someone who mixed antibiotics with DMSO and rubbed it onto an infected wound, and it made him very sick. Their best guess is that the DMSO flushed toxins in the wound into his bloodstream, because of it's tendency to disolve(it's acts as a solvent) and carry stuff through tissue.

Frogog

12. frogdog

frogdog Guest

13. Lana

Lana Active Member

The latest is I got my vet friend to agree to take look at it and before she saw it she thought it might be rain scald/mud fever....She came out to see it tonight and said that was not it. She was not sure what it was but thinks maybe a bite or puncture that got badly infected so she will draw some material out of the mass with a needle and get a better idea.... I will let you know. She did say DMSO would be ok but think we wait and see what tests say and let antibiotics work a week or so before I go that route. Lana