CL vaccines

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jcran, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I just brought home a wonderful buck from Washington State. I made the decision to have the herd tested for CL as I want to establish a baseline and also be able to advertise that my group is CL free. Then someone brought up the point that many folks in the area don't test. If I am to use my buck to generate income through breeding, I need to be sure that the girls coming over are CL free as well. So I've begun looking to start a campaign in our rural little county to eradicate CL in the goat herds through testing AND vaccination. I have looked around and the only vaccine that seems to be actually useful is the GLANVAC one from Australia. I've heard its available in Canada but not here. Has anyone tried shipping it from Canada? Has anyone used it? I think if we had access to it, we could get folks to use it. Not many folks want to pay for testing, especially since so many have commercial herds and aren't that worried about CL-grrr BUT vaccines are another thing. My vet called it "head in the sand" (maybe a bit more graphic) but I think people don't have a lot of money around here. IF they could vaccinate, they might feel like they were getting results.

2. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

What I have heard - and please correct me if I heard wrong - is that is you vaccinate for CL, then your herd will not test NEG for CL. To me, that seems like an issue since I want to be able to discern an 'infected' animal vs a vaccinated animal. If an animal is infected and vaccinated, you would not be able to tell.

Is what I have heard true??

Lynn in Mesa County, CO

3. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know about CL but when my dog contracted lymes the first time the test they used was able to distinguish between vaccine antibodies and the actual lymes produced antibodies.

4. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

The Autogenous CL vaccine is what you need. There is a vet in Texas that gets it made and sells it. I don't believe that one makes you test positive then. The one that is for sheep does (Case-bac), that one also does not GIVE your goats CL, but if they have it it does stimulate their system to pop out an abcess. Testing is easier!

5. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I've read so much conflicting info on whether or not the CL vaccine is effective in goats or not. I wonder if that has been resolved yet?

6. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i had some conversation with the the lab people at uc california and they said that if an animal got an vaccination they can not distinguish between true infection or vaccine. call one of the labs you want to have your herd tested and ask them bevore you vaccinate.

7. Bella Star

Bella Star LaMancha & Boer

I had a reg. nubian doe that was given the CL vaccine, I decided that I didnt want to drink her milk as CL can get in the udder and you not know so I decided to sell her , the soon to be new owner took her to vet and she did have a lump that was from a shot vaccine,I also told this lady about the CL vaccine that she was given . The vet opened and lab checked the lump that took days of waiting for CL test results and it was negative BUT the doe tested CL+ because of the CL vaccine shot.
    I found out right quick ..... :flame: as that doe stayed out with my 3 LaMancha does with the lump open until the results came back .. WORRY WORRY WORRY !!! as IF the doe had... had a open pus-filled CL draining all over my milkers.... what was I gonna do ???

THANK GOD !! that doe was CL+ only ...because of a CL vaccine shot .
    I did NOT sell the doe to the lady and the doe went back to the owner I bought her from .... and the doe might be fine but I just choose not to have to worry about CL + from a vaccine . It's just NOT worth all the worry to me .

8. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

9. Bella Star

Bella Star LaMancha & Boer

Yes, A very good move and a chance that I wont take again ..... I knew that the doe had had the shot before I bought her but I just couldnt resist her as she was beautiful and I wanted a Nubian and they were nowhere to be found forsale around my area.
    NO goat ( not even the splashy,spotted and doefull eyed take me home looking) is worth infecting my healthy herd and I WONT take the chance again !!

10. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

In my opinion, the best way to be sure you keep your herd clean is to only buy from clean herds and be very careful about folks visiting. I will not vaccinate for CL as I have heard too many conflicting things about it and I believe in very minimal vaccinations. I do breed outside does for a fee, but only does from people I know and that I *know* have CL clean herds. That is the only way an outside doe steps on my place to be bred to one of my bucks. If a neighbor called up and asked if he could breed a doe to one of my bucks, I would insist on walking through his herd and having a "look-feel" of his goats before I gave him my answer. CL is the last thing I ever want to have to deal with. It is heartbreaking to see a beautiful goat with an ugly abcess......

11. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I looked at a herd of Saanens not to long ago. The goats were a little thin but I could get past that. But then I noticed a lsrge knot on ones jaw so I looked some more and saw some scarring on a few others. Now this woman shows alot and tried passing it off as an injury from the milk stand at the fair. Maybe it was but I was taking no chances.

I am headed to Cornel for a goat outing this month then in Nov some of the question I plan to ask is about the CL vaccine. I will let you know what the experts say.